CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2022

Class: Apparition
House: Slytherin
Project: crochet hydrangea
Description: For the Color in a box swap I made @kittykill some fingerless gloves and when they were finished I felt the package needed a little something else. She had mentioned a longing for Spring so I decided to make an everlasting bloom that could be displayed when real flowers were hard to come by. Using a styrofoam ball as the base I crocheted several tones of blue yarn into 3 sizes of flowers and, using pearl bead topped pins I affixed them to the ball. It took forever to arrange and rearrange them into a flower I liked the look of. There is no good way that I found to photograph it that it doesnā€™t look like a hot mess, but trust me that I, at least, liked how it came out and deemed it ā€œgiftable.ā€

Class: Divination
Project: fingerless gloves
Description: These are the gloves for the Color in a Box swap. I used DGYā€™s silk yarn to make soft, very colorful, hand warmers. They have cabled wrists but the yarn sort of blinds you to them. I hope they keep her hands warm and her spirits up as she types away on her homework, etc.

7 Likes

Challenge: Headmistress February
I made Red Velvet cupcakes for the family. Out of my cooking wheelhouse but fun.

I forgot to say I used the box recipe for these cupcakes.

5 Likes

Welcome Mel! I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen you in the HPC before? (Please ignore me if you arenā€™t new!) :sweat_smile: Your cupcakes look great!

2 Likes

Iā€™m new :rofl::rofl::rofl: this is my first post.

Iā€™m sorry shouldā€™ve introduced myself.

Iā€™m Mel a Non-Binary Femme in NC. Iā€™m the house of Slytherin. I have 3 young adult children and one grandson along with a grand dog.

I am a Healer and Birthworker by day. I mainly do crotchet currently. I keep a project with me so while the little one is sleep I can craft.

I am in the Happy Mail swap which I enjoy bc I love sending notes.

5 Likes

Awesome! I love that you dived right in! :smile:

1 Like

:rofl: Thanks. I knew I was missing something from my post.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: A Pair of Magic Pillowcases
Brief Description: I used the Magic Pillowcase tutorial (link above) to create these sleep-inducing bedtime accessories. Theyā€™re a birthday present for DS2 to coordinate with his batik colorwash quilt (the accent stripe is leftover binding).
Project Picture:

8 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: A Flock of Rainbow Dragon Loveys
Brief Description: Iā€™ve heard way too many horror stories from parents who lost their kiddos favorite blanket, or who were frantic to soothe a crying baby when their blanket was in the wash, so I kinda went nuts and made 4 Loveys for Godzilla. Hopefully they will help soothe the monster baby, and she can sleep and snuggle with them when sheā€™s bigger.
Project Picture:

8 Likes

Welcome @melg78! Looks like you are already making Slytherin House proud :grin:

@MistressJennie the multiple blankies is a good plan. Justā€¦ when she gets a bit bigger, dont let her know how many there are. My sister had 3 identical knitted blankies, and for a good 2 years we had to take all 3 of them everywhere, she would count them about a million times a day :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Hermioneā€™s Book Club Chapter 15
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: More Hair Bows
Brief Description: Iā€™ve always wanted to make these faux leather hair bows for my girls. Its going splendidly! I got the patterns off etsy, cut them out with the cricut, and assembled them.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: WIP
Project Name & Page Link: Framed Cross Stitches
Brief Description: I completed a couple cross stitches 3 years ago and never got around to framing them. I pulled them out in 2020 to do as my quarantine project, but it never happened. But I finally got them washed, ironed, cut framed and in their new homes!
Project Picture:

8 Likes

@melg78, welcome to the Craftalong! Slytherin is lucky to have you :green_heart:

Excellent advice! Iā€™ll remember that darling.

@jillybeans, your framed cross stitches look awesome!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Care of Magical Creatures
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins
Brief Description: Whenever I think of the Lord of the Rings, I think of the Hobbits obsession with delicious foods. Especially comfort foods, served in their cozy Hobbit holes. So I made some chocolate oatmeal muffins to cheer up a cold, grey morning. I modified this recipe slightly, using some white whole wheat flour, replacing the milk with non-dairy, and the butter with canola oil. I also added in a tablespoon of (decaf) instant coffee to the wet ingredients to punch up the chocolate flavor. Since I didnā€™t have regular chocolate chips, I used up a dark chocolate bar and some white chocolate chips in the cupboard.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Oh, yum! Those look delicious! Iā€™ve seen jokes about how The Hobbit/LotR is basically a recipe blog post with lots of story and recipes thrown in here and there. :joy:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Show Some Love Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Crocheted Rainbow Hooded Sweatshirt
Brief Description: This sweater is for my sweet, little boy - one of the dearest people in my life. He just adores rainbows and things that are cozy and cuddly. For his birthday, I wanted to show him how much I love himā€¦a sweater in fingering weight yarn is a decent start. :wink:
Project Picture:

5 Likes

@plaidpineapple, I was just going to Hermioneā€™s Homework Planner, and noticed that someone has been recording their progress on the Master Sheet. I believe, based on the comments written in Advanced Studies (being listed as a collared shirt), that these are your notes. Please be sure to record on YOUR sheet of the Homework Planner. Itā€™s the one labeled as plaidpineapple along the bottom of the spreadsheet. Iā€™ll give you a day or so before I erase the notes made in the Master Sheet so you can copy them over. Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh no, I am so sorry!! I fixed it, my bad.

1 Like

No worries, it happens. I just didnā€™t want you to lose your notes because I deleted them from the Master without telling you.

Tendstowardchaos, that hoodie is fabulous.

1 Like

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Wool Coat
Brief Description: I have been wanting to make a wool coat/jacket for a while but kept holding out for the perfect green wool. Alas, it seems to not exist. But I found a burgundy runner-up and decided to give it a go. It is a pricey fabric so I will need to do some prefitting and alterations in hopes of not wasting any of the fabric. My goal is to have it done in a few months, but I also know I tend to take a lot longer on my big projects than I plan. Either way-I figure starting in Feb it shoud be ready to wear next winter :wink:

3 Likes

This is awesome! I canā€™t wait to see! Iā€™m so jealous of your hand-made wardrobe.

Added to the log. Good luck!