Clover (Owl House) Plushie

My daughter wanted to cosplay as a character from the TV show The Owl House. The character she chose is Willow. To those not familiar with the show, it’s a cartoon about a fantasy realm with magic and witches. The witches have palismen, which are sort of like a companion animal. Willow’s palisman is a bee shape creature named clover.
The costume itself was mostly gathering existing bits that we have and purchasing a pair of non-prescription round glasses. We wanted to also have the palisman. We thought about sculpting one around a small drink bottle. But, while poking around online, I found that someone posted a free Clover plushie pattern online. Having never sewn anything nearly as complicated as that, I started with something simpler, to get my bearings (Avocato - my first plushie).
And then jumped right into the deep end.
Went hunting for the correct fabrics and started working.
Spent a long time saying things like “I have no idea what I’m doing”, and trying to wrap my head around which way things should be connected. But on the morning of the second deadline, my daughter had this waiting for her on the dining room table:

It was a great learning experience, made some mistakes a long the way and had to improvise (not sure if it was me or the pattern, probably a bit of both). My daughter was super happy, and I’ve been showing off to whoever I ran into.

Some progress shots:

The table is staring at me:

Most of it was hand sewn, but the lines on the wings were done on my parents’ sewing machine, which my brother and I just brought back from being fixed:

22 Likes

Turned out nice! Sometimes just jumping in is the best way to get your feet wet…and when there is a deadline and someone counting on you, you just make it work!

Your daughter must love it now that she has a mom that sews!

2 Likes

That lil critter is so cute!

2 Likes

It turned out sooo cute! Awesome job.

2 Likes

Adorable!

2 Likes

Awesome job!! The construction is right on and that fuzzy fabric is perfect!

1 Like

What a lucky daughter! This is absolutely amazing. I’m sure she’ll love it to pieces.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen the show, but Clover is adorable. Sewing most of this by hand is a commitment! Hats off to you!

1 Like

Cuuuuute bee! Wow, 2 plushies this year already, way to go.

1 Like

:firecracker: Bam! :boom: This cracking project is featured this week! :firecracker:

1 Like

You did such a good job on this, it came out really cute!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. It sure was an adventure.
The pattern did have the letters showing which points go together, but it took me a bit to wrap my brain around the inside out stuff.
The hardest parts were adding the eyes and dealing with the fuzzy fabric.
The eyes area didn’t work our exactly for me, so I had to add a strip of fabric, which in turn affected the rest of the body. I wasn’t surprised by that, and it actually came in handy, as I was able to add an elastic strap on the bottom, so the plushie can be worn on the arm. But it did cause me to deviate from the given pattern and figure things out myself.
The fuzzy fabric was basically a mesh with fuzz on it, and it shed like crazy. I still have white tufts in the area where I worked.

4 Likes

Love this. Great job.

1 Like

It’s awesome! I bet your daughter is thrilled!

My teenager finally convinced me to start watching The Owl House from the beginning with her. I haven’t encountered the palismen yet (still in season 1).

1 Like

It’s a fun show. I haven’t watched the entire thing from start to finish (although I am making progress), more like “second-hand” watched it, as my daughter went through it a few times already, so it was running in a nice volume in our living room quite a bit.

1 Like

This is really impressive @Tanath !
Making plushies is a bit intimidating to me :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Neat critter, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bird/bee mashup like it before!

1 Like