COMPLETE : Miniature Make a Friend Swap S/U Jan 27 to Feb 6 SO March 15, 2021

I’ve been told I look like Bette Midler. I do have crazy curly hair but I think it’s a stretch. Wish I had her voice!

5 Likes

I just look like myself, no one famous.

@jemimah that is a beautiful dog and I can see why everyone would love him.

I have been in contact with my new friend @Bugaboo and getting to know her.

1 Like

No famous look-alike here. Though my mom and I sound identical on the phone right down to tone of voice and the inflection on “hello” so we’ve confused people that way many times.

1 Like

I’m sitting here writing my letter to @jemimah, chatting about some things I didn’t think to add to the sign up questions, so I think I’ll ask one of them in today’s question.

If you are a parent, are a “insert sports/activity” mom and/or were you a proud member of a team/club when you were in school?

I am a soccer mom and marching band mom, although partly due to Covid and partly due to the kids starting to age out of rec soccer, we are becoming more of a marching band family than soccer family. My husband played soccer as a kid/teen, and he now coaches/refs for the rec league.

My daughter plays flute in the marching band, and next year my son will be old enough to play his sax in the marching band.

I was not on any sports team. In high school, there were competitions where you could memorize and recite poems in Spanish and my friend and I did that a few times, though we never received any awards.

2 Likes

We’re not a very sporty family. But I was a Girl Scout, and now my son is a Boy Scout and I’m an Assistant Scoutmaster.

1 Like

That is more that we have in common. We are also a scouting family and not into sports at all. I’m currently a Girl Scout leader, but was a Cub scout leader for many years. They are such great organizations. :heart:

3 Likes

I was the “crafty” mom. Volunteering to make costumes, help with crafts, pad out the base drum harness that didn’t fit my ultra scrawny 7th grader, that sort of thing. My kids played a little sports when young, though I did join Karate because my daughter wanted to take it with her brother and wouldn’t do it without me.

Brown belt, watch out.

2 Likes

I wasn’t into any sports, though we did have to do something so I played netball and hockey while at school. I was much more into arty crafty activities (surprise!)

1 Like

My kids have been and are into sports, although 2 of them are older and don’t live near me. I’ve been a hockey, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, basketball, biathlon mom. Right now I am just a hockey mom as biathlon is the only other thing done during this season and it is canceled because of COVID.

2 Likes

My husband has become a passionate runner and sometimes he takes the kiddos for running (well, when the kids run, he walks fast besides them). He has even entered them into a race around Easter. So, it’s just a family team.
I have to admit my husband is more patient than I am. I once tried to go speed walking with my daughter but she stopped every 2 minutes and yelled at me so we ended up going for a walk. So I’ll stick to cheering for them instead of coaching them.

3 Likes

I have never been a big sports fan, as a teenager I loved horse riding and ice skating, but have not kept up either of them as an adult

1 Like

my eldest daughter was into pretty much every sport she could be, plus music, plus every committee and club, including cadets and guiding. glad she got through the end of high school before the covid hit. its definitely dampening her sporting life in college, but she still does highland dance (online. so weird and i feel for her roomies, but at least they are in a basement apartment otherwise i would feel for the whole house) and is doing her runs/fitness for her mil skills tryouts which will hopefully happen in the fall. and i know she is seriously missing judo.

the youngest is not as sporty, but still likes her sports and is in her last year of highschool. she missed rugby hard last spring/this past fall…doubtful that it will run in the spring. she’s still doing student council and i think yearbook, but i’m not 100% on yearbook, because, surprise surprise, her sister is doing yearbook, so its hard to keep track of all that they are into, covid and all. she’s still in cadets and is in her last year of guiding.

i didnt do much in highschool, except for the one year of yearbook, since i’m not really a joiner. and even though i wasn’t in it as a girl member, i am a guide leader, since i wanted the youngest to go to sparks and there were no leaders. i think this will be my last year if they don’t open up in person meetings for next year or we can take the beasts camping. i am not really enjoying the zoom meetings. they are so painful.

I’m the same :smiley: I am a Brownie leader now, but was never a girl guide as a child :slight_smile:

And I so feel for you on the zoom meetings, I am not enjoying them anywhere near as much as in person :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m also a Brownie leader. We currently are not having meetings. The church where we meet is not allowing outside groups to use the facility due to local COVID numbers. We have put together and distributed craft kits so the girls still feel connected to the troop. I can’t imagine Zoom meetings. That just sounds miserable.

1 Like

I am starting to form an idea or two for my partner. Entertainment as I fall asleep tonight.

2 Likes

We’re doing Girl Scout Zoom meetings and it hasn’t been too terrible. Our troop leader gets super into it so that helps. It’s definitely not the same as real meetings though. I can’t wait until we’re all back together!

1 Like

Hooray! I’m glad you are formulating ideas. I am still in the Pinterest rabbit hole planning stage. That is always an important swap planning step for me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Why do I not find it surprising that a number of us are girl guide/girl scout leaders? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

My son was a Cub Scout for a hot sec. then he played the drums for another min. Then he ran cc in high school. We were supportive for all of his forays but he was never super obsessed with any of them so it was never too intense. He love college and college basketball is a favorite pastime for him to follow.

I was a Girl Scout and loved it. I’m thinking someday of being leader. I played floor hockey growing up and played the flute for a few years. I was never super sporty though. But now I play roller derby! Well not right now…COVID.

4 Likes

I was a cub scout co leader for a couple of years. I had forgotten that. My little boy is 40 now so it was long long ago.

2 Likes