COMPLETED: 12 Days of Christmas Swap - Send Out 12/3/21

I do some planning but most of it is made as I go, especially with big swaps.

I will be offline until next week. The movers are coming tomorrow and we will be on the road!

2 Likes

Most of the time I usually plan stuff out. I write down everything I want to make so I can see what I have and what I need to buy.

1 Like

I think I have three different lists at random locations around the house, with multiple ideas in no particular order. Then I start about 8 things at once, and flit between different projects haphazardly. Eventually a swap parcel evolves, like an early amphibian emerging from the primordial ooze.

3 Likes

I like to plan so that I donā€™t get overwhelmed! Ideas are forming, but first I need to finish up another swap!

1 Like

I plan it all out. Iā€™m a list-maker. But I sometimes make adjustments to that plan.

1 Like

i have a thing on the go. a large thing.not sure how @roler will feel about the colours since they arenā€™t in her top, but i really liked the _______, so iā€™m hoping sheā€™s down with that!!!

i did do a precursory list of things i might make, on a rando piece of paper i am sure to lose, but iā€™m open to finding different items along the way to make before send outs.

I finished my first item last night. Iā€™m having a hard time thinking of other projects to make right now. Iā€™m thankful we have a long while to craft!

2 Likes

I have a start on one item, a second ordered, and a 3rd idea swirling around.

Check in question!

What holiday crafts did you do as a kid? We made a lot of our own ornaments. Every year we would make red and green construction paper chains, popcorn garland, and sometimes cranberry garlands.
And salt dough ornaments.

2 Likes

I donā€™t remember any holiday crafting memories.

I vaguely remember making construction paper chains and popcorn garland at school once when I was really young (kindergarten maybe?) but I donā€™t remember any other holiday crafting memories.

One of my favorite things as an adult is making up ā€œnewā€ traditions, maybe Iā€™ll tell my husband we need to make construction paper chains this year :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could make green and red gelli prints and make gelli print chains

1 Like

We were super poor so it was homemade or nothing. We lived in a very rural area and would go out in the woods to hunt our own Christmas tree too. Very Charlie Brown-eque!

2 Likes

I love that idea!

We made ornaments every year, which I still do, and lots of baking, which I do as well. My mom and grandma also artfully wrapped presents, which I donā€™t do - we now tend to be pretty minimalist in wrapping.
We also made these ribbon birds as both present decorations and tree ornaments and I still make batches every year.

And lots of homemade presents, which is definitely still a thing!

2 Likes

I donā€™t remember doing much at home, but we generally did something at school. Weā€™d make a chain to countdown until Christmas break. One year we made gingerbread houses. I was in Fairbanks at the time, and I remember having to carry it home when it was about -30Ā°f. When it warmed back up, it fell to pieces :rofl:

1 Like

I donā€™t do a ton of decorating any more but I might do this too

1 Like

I donā€™t think we ever made gingerbread houses as kids but we did make gingerbread people

1 Like

I donā€™t remember crafting as a kid (sad trombone). That is probably why I do it now. Iā€™m pretty sure we made ornaments in school.

2 Likes

I got to spend one Christmas with my paternal grandparents as a kid, the year we moved to SD from AK. I made gingerbread men with my grandma great (what we called our great grandma :blush:), and we ate all of the candy we were going to decorate the cookies with. The cookies ended up getting decorated with nuts and raisins. My grandma asked what happened to all of the candy. Grandma great shrugged and said she had no idea. :rofl:

I want to bake gingerbread people now. :drooling_face:

3 Likes