Completed - Masterboard Swap ~ Send by August 17

Two more days to sign up! :grin: I’ll probably keep signups open until Tuesday morning so any last minute questionnaires can sneak in :wink: I’ll start playing with partner options tomorrow and Monday but won’t finalize anything until everyone is in :heart:

I’m excited to get crafting! Since I bought my gelli plate I’ve only been making gelli print masterboards but I’m planning on getting out the dimensional stuff for this swap! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Tissue paper, tape, layers of paper… it’s gonna be fun!

5 Likes

Jumping in here to encourage you to scribble and splatter the daylights out of your paper! This is a perfect opportunity to experiment with watercolor techniques. Abstract watercolor pages can be used as a background for all kinds of things, and there’s a surprising amount of variety you can get. Try a few different kinds of paper if possible, and/or scrape a layer of glue (or whatever medium you have) over small areas to change how the watercolor interacts with the paper. Press a strip of cheesecloth or lace against a wet painted page and peel it off after it’s all totally dry. Make a total mess of the page with lots of contrast, layers, and different kinds of marks (splatters, brush strokes, blobs, pencil scribbles, etc), and then the recipient can hunt for images that pop out to them the way that we see shapes in clouds. Here are a bunch more to try.

I’ve pretty much only used the cheap kids’ watercolors for this and it’s been fine, but you may end up using quite a bit more of your supply to get colors that stand out. Just keep playing with it (that’s why it’s nice to have a few pages going at the same time, to allow for repeated drying!), and have fun. I saw you mention it and now I want to do some!

I don’t think I’m going to sign up for this round, but alongside on my own I might try to copy an abstract, grungy scrapbook paper design that appeals to me

7 Likes

thanks for the encouragement & variety of ideas to try!
good to know to allow lots of drying time for this swap~

1 Like

I made a few practice messes yesterday. Some I like, some I don’t.

And then I added to some tags that I had made that just didn’t look done enough, now they are better. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome @kayrun :partying_face:

1 Like

:tada:Last day to signup:tada:

1 Like

Welcome to @Ewulotta and @Lynx :partying_face:

4 Likes

One of my swaps didn’t generate enough interest, so sadly it was cancelled; But, that means now I can play in the masterboards swap!

6 Likes

I’m playing with partnering but nothing is set in stone yet. If there is anyone you absolutely don’t want to be partnered with -and/or- if there is anyone you’re hoping to be partnered with please send me a message before the day is over :slight_smile: No promises but I’ll do what I can to make everyone as happy as possible :wink:

1 Like

I wish I could join in, this is my favourite! We’re so busy in summer though, it’s all I can do to stay on top of things.
I’ll be watching to see all the beautiful creations :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hopefully there will be future rounds too :wink: and I’m sure more than one of us would be down for a personal swap when things quiet back down for you :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at masterboard-making for ages now and figured this was the best possible motivation to start! Those tutorials linked above are SO useful! I can’t wait to give it a try! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome @roler :partying_face:

1 Like

totally agree about the tutorials!
that is what swayed me to go ahead & jump in on this one
:smiley:

3 Likes

I’m glad the tutorials are helpful! I only found the one’s I listed but if there are more out there please share here! :grin: (I also only shared links from LC) And there are sooooo sooo sooooooo many examples of what people make with masterboards, it was hard to limit my link sharing there, but definitely worth going down the LC rabbit hole!

If anyone has a favorite project (by you or someone else) please share with the class! :grin:

6 Likes

I’ve been rummaging through my craft stash to gather supplies for making masterboards. My game plan is to make a bunch and pick out the top three for my partner…and I’ll add the leftovers to my paper stash!

Can’t wait to find out who I’m partnered with :smiley:

8 Likes

I found some basic watercolor “paintings” that my kids made when they were very little. They would work well as a masterboard starter I figure.

6 Likes

I’ve been eyeing the completed workbook pages my kid has been producing-- there’s so much paper, with random colorful bits, and they’re nicely perforated…

4 Likes

Do it! For some recent masterboards the girl & I started with pages like this
And ended up with pages like this!

I added a list of projects made from scraps. All the ATCs could have been done larger for cards, 4X6 art, etc.

5 Likes

Everyone should have a message from me with their partner(s) info :love_letter: Please check that I sent you the right info and have fun getting messy! :grin:

8 Likes