Craft a better year!

2020 was not a great year for most of us! But we can craft a better year for ourselves and each other. I propose that we craft a little joy either for someone we know personally or for a charitable cause - there are so many! It doesn’t have to be huge- leave a paperback with a sweet note inside at a bus stop. Leave some warm fleece or yarn goods at a homeless shelter, donate pillowcases to foster organizations or pet care items to a local shelter. And then, please showcase that kindness here! We could all use the lift!

10 Likes

I pretty much stopped a lot of my RAK last year because people were hesitant to touch anything left even if it were in a plastic sealed bag. I even went around collecting a few I had left hanging on trees because they were still there when I went back a week later!

I think making something for people I know but might not be expecting anything would be a good idea! Also, I think maybe making something for a shelter and then having them hand out the goods will work during this pandemic as well.

Everyone could use a lift…we can get creative about how to do it! I know lots of places are still accepting masks since we have a long way to go!

4 Likes

Yes! People still need help. The other problems of life didn’t go away because of this virus. They actually got worse, I think.

3 Likes

I know the biggest church in my neighbourhood is always looking for sweaters, scarves, mittens, hats etc. If you are living on the streets, it’s easy to loose or damage your things so people go through quite a lot of them.

Due to the expected increase in homelessness and food insecurity due to the pandemic, my city expanded their services for the homeless. I was really happy to hear that because in my city the average cost of a home has gone up by 40% since 2015 and rents have also exploded, so homelessness has been an issue for a while. Covid was just the last straw.

But the new service was “too good” and attracted homeless people that according to the city didn’t have strong enough ties to our city (the criteria are extremely strict imho). So they have cut back on services again. The church has really been doing a great job in keeping people fed and warm. I’m not a member of that church but they have by far the best mission for the homeless in my city, so I still support them.

7 Likes

Well that’s horrifying. You can’t move someplace where things are better if you’re w/o a domicile? :frowning_face: Glad your local church is still stepping up.

One of our neighbors was just telling me her church has adopted a school in Baltimore city to give handmade warm things to, so I might make a few hats or scarves for them; mostly I’ve been doing silly mail games with people in a discord I’m on, which is making everyone happy in little ways.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s very sad :frowning_face: I know helping people costs money, but we’re talking about human beings. Of course we’re going to attract desperate people from other areas if our city is the only city offering decent services for the homeless, but we would all do that if we were in their shoes.

We have a lot of migrant workers from Eastern Europe in my city, they are housed by their employers and they lose the roof over their heads if they lose their jobs. Many of those employers break labour laws, Covid rules or withhold wages illegally and when workers protest, they just get fired and end up on the streets. The city tells those people to “just go back to your home country” but many have lived here for years and have kids in school. Or they don’t even have enough money to go back. If people live and work here and give our city massive economic growth then I really don’t understand why they can’t have equal rights.

5 Likes

I have loads of hats and scarves…I would love to find homes for them…no way I will wear that many hats now in my warmer home state!

4 Likes

I have a WIP that is for donation that I can’t even remember why I stopped. I have already been thinking that I need to get started again. Hopefully commenting here will help me get back to it!

3 Likes

What a good idea! In my city, we have a sculpture that people leave warm clothing on for people who need them. Now to scrounge some fabric up to make something!

3 Likes

I am so excited! I can’t wait to see what you all do! I hope you will post pics of what you are making to donate! :heart:

3 Likes

One of my favorite charity things ever was making those zipped bags for the women’s shelter…it brings tears to my eyes that something so simple would help someone out…the things we take for granted…

2 Likes

Awwww… it’s so true. What really touched me was the unbelievable generosity of THIS community! I asked for a few zippers but you all opened the windows of heaven and there was barely room to hold it all. You all are so wonderful… I’m crying, just remembering. I really do love you guys!

I should do more of those.

3 Likes

Starting my first charity project today! My church’s women’s group is making bereavement boxes for women who have lost their newborn infants. It gives them a memento of their child and something to clothe the baby in for burial.

I will be starting by making 20 baby blankets!

4 Likes

20 blankets, that’s a lot! But it’s for a very worthwhile cause.

I am working on a quilt for a friend. She’s had a hard year so I’m going to send it with a care package and a grocery store giftcard. I ran out of the right colour of fabric but I will go through my stash again tomorrow because I’m pretty sure I had more of it.

1 Like

My year-long and now beyond stress-reducing, good vibes creating, public service task for 2020-21 is creating masks. I’m somewhere nearing 900. I just keep making about 2 DZ every week or so and a friend distributes to hospitals, daycare, schools, occasional homeless person, college kid, etc. I’m known as the little old church lady…I do wonder what they picture in their heads? Fuffy white hair, lace collars, and sensible shoes? Well, I do wear sensible shoes but my hair stubbornly refuses to turn white. Maybe when I’m 80 or so like my grandma.

7 Likes

900? OMG…that has to be a record or something! WOW!

1 Like

I found out about a local charity yesterday that I will be supporting this year. 1 in 6 children in my city grow up below the poverty line. This charity provides new parents with baby starter kits and when the child is 2 they can pick up another kit for toddlers. The charity collects both new and used items and they have a wishlist on their website for crafted things! I will be making a few quilts for them.

5 Likes

Made 20 baby blankets for a charity that supports moms who have lost their infants. Sadly, many of the little ones will be buried in these blankets. But the idea is to provide some compassion for their loss. All the fabrics were donated, although I did supply a few of the tops from my own stash as well (trucks, owls and pastel plaid).

They all have white backing:

3 Likes

I can’t believe you made 20 of them in a couple of weeks :open_mouth: You worked so fast.

I am sure the mothers who will receive these blankets will appreciate them. It’s a thoughtful gesture during a very hard time in their lives.

1 Like

Such a small gesture that is a huge one in the families that have lost a child so soon…they are a bright spot…love the simplicity…good work for a good cause…

1 Like