Craft Through Coronavirus Craftalong

I am well jealous of you guys getting all the crafty goodness!
Being in the UK, I wasn’t eligible for the offer, but so glad I’ll be able to see these pieces being used. Be interesting to see how each of you uses the items. Bet none of the projects are alike!

1 Like

Mine came today too! Exactly like yours, what a cool little grab bag

2 Likes

This thread is making me hungry and slightly envious of @audity for those Rico cheese cups… Perfect pairing for soft pretzels!

In my box excavating, one of my embroidery hoops was unearthed with a broken inner hoop. Happily, by adding in some crochet thread, and the dreamcatcher technique my grandmother taught me 2 decades ago; I have a colorful temporary home for my airplants.

16 Likes

That’s so pretty!

I love the new home, however temporary, for you air plants.
Together they look very tropical.

Gosh it’s been a bit again. I ended up seeing some masks. Not my favorite thing to sew and those that are sewing them for donations are amazing. Here is just a couple of the close to 30 I made this weekend.

6 Likes

This is breathtaking!

I’ve made a couple more masks and have 4 more on ironing board. 3 are REALLY important cause they are for my niece & nephews. Talked to my brother on text last night - he & my SIL have nice masks but the kids are staying home & don’t have masks just in case.

2 Likes

@Nou Thank you.
@GMPNQ They aren’t as stable as they should be, hence the temporary. But they do make home feel more upbeat.
@LadybugsAndBees Thank you! The middle was a bit difficult, but it is fun crafting things that I almost forgot that I knew.

I’ve had to wear a hepa mask for years and it is odd but fun to see all the creative ones about now. My teen son is even asking for a couple as soon as we find the sewing machine. He claims that it will make mowing the lawn more pleasant after all this virus situation passes.

4 Likes

We had a few masks when this whole thing hit because my husband has terrible allergies and wears them when he mows, so I know your son will get good use of a mask after all this is over. I also wear them when I am making and decorating fancy cakes-I get nosebleeds from the powdered sugar if I don’t.

2 Likes

I was happy to see a lot of people from employees to shoppers wearing masks when I did a quick run to the grocery store. I was able to find rice!

I still saw people standing too close for comfort without masks but used my cart to keep them away from me at the check out…I might start taking my cane and whack them…idiots…I think we better get used to it…until we have testing and better contact follow up, masks are going to be around as part of daily life for many.

3 Likes

I tried something different today, and baked bagels for the first time. I had 3 envelopes of yeast that had passed the expiration date by a couple weeks, and was curious to see if they would work. The first one didn’t, but the second one did!

This is the best shot I’m going to get at 10 pm in my embarrassingly chaotic kitchen… despite the wonky looking ones on the right side, they turned out delicious and my bf has asked how often I think I could make them :joy: they’re so good and fairly easy and cheap, hopefully I’ll make them all the time.

14 Likes

Yum! I can just imagine how delicious they were when they were warm from the oven…

I made a batch of homemade fondant today to cover my son’s birthday cake. I had a very hard time finding glycerin, which is an essential ingredient of my son’s favorite recipe. Apparently people are using it to make DIY hand sanitizer!

3 Likes

I looked at those homemade bagels and my stomach swooned with desire. :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Our playdough was all dried up so we made more!

Just one batch and all purple lol because I had no idea how much it would make. I used this recipe.

We will probably make a different color at some point…maybe today. :smile:

10 Likes

Good for you! I tried making some a couple of weeks ago… it was a mess! Never got not-sticky.
Well done!

1 Like

Oh I love play-doh!

So I’m super happy with my finished project!! I loved these goofy alien fabrics and then I came across this awesome world map panel and I thought the colors might go. And they did!! So now I have an alien invasion quilt! I used the Mojave pattern from Villa Rosa and added a little more to it so it was a good size for me. Now I need to pick a backing and get it quilted!

21 Likes

That quilt is amazing! I love the colours.

1 Like

I have a similar map in crayon colors that I got for backing baby quilts, but this is so much more fun!

1 Like

Alien invasion is out of this world cool!!

1 Like