Elizabeth Swann PotC - Halloween Costume Entry 2022

Every Halloween, our friends have a big, themed party. This year’s theme was “favorite character from a movie.” DH wanted to be Obi-Wan Kenobi, and I wanted to be a pirate.

Since I made costumes for the kids last year, I didn’t feel bad buying their costumes this year and making our costumes. I had a couple of the patterns that I needed for my costume, and had to track down an out-of-print pattern for part of it. I spent a few months hunting down some decent fabrics and notions to get to something that was visually similar to the on-screen garments. I did purchase the wig, hat, boots, and leggings (ran out of time and energy for making proper pants).

Sorry, missed a bit of profanity in the sign behind us when editing.

The shirt is muslin, made from Simplicity pattern 4219. I did take the time to neatly finish all the seams, so it ended up being super comfy. The ruffle at the wrist was improvised, and I pleated everything rather than using gathers. Those buttons are from stash, lol.

The vest is Simplicity 4923, and one I’ve made twice before for DH. It’s a bit shorter than the long version of the vest, but the back panel is longer. Instead of ties, I made flaps with buttonholes and threaded them with a silk ribbon to give the vest a more feminine shape. Also, ran out of fabric and used some stashed cotton for interfacing and part of the lining.

And, the grand finale - my jacket! I loved making this thing. The pattern is Simplicity 3677, but I added functional pockets, a full lining, changed up the button positions, and omitted the bell sleeves. It’s a linen blend, with velvet ribbon trim and beautiful stamped brass buttons. I should have omitted the center-back godet, but hindsight is 20/20. Again, all the seams are finished even though they’re covered by a lining - this fabric frayed pretty badly.

Thanks for looking!

24 Likes

Lovely job!
I like the back godet on the jacket; it would be kind of boring without that detail.
Did you actually have ALL those matching buttons in stash? impressive!

And while I’m sure you accessorized it to look most piratical, the finished garments could be adapted to work for many other characters. Ben Franklin, or other founding fathers, some French king (I’m pretty sure one called Leroy dressed like that), or maybe someone from a Jane Austen book.

BTW, I am joking about Leroy. In case you were wondering.

3 Likes

OMG how awesome. I mean, it’s all great, but THAT COAT!

2 Likes

wow, love your costume work. I usually find something in my stash or from the thrift store to modify and it’s not often my best work. Just enough to look good in the dark. :scream: I applaud your dedication to knocking it out of the Halloween ballpark!

2 Likes

Thank you!

It was actually just the buttons on the shirt cuffs that were stash. I bought a lot of fabric/notions this year.

1 Like

Thanks, @marionberries and @Magpie! I’ve been wanting a good pirate costume for so long, and finally had the skills and excuse to make it.

I actually did get asked, by someone at quite a distance while trick-or-treating, if I was Ben Franklin. :joy: Late-18th Century was an excellent period for fashion, IMHO.

3 Likes

Multi-use costume! You can be any period character that fits. I wanted to do a pirate last year, time ran out. I have the whole design somewhere, I’m bookmarking this for inspiration.

1 Like

Wow! This is incredibly, amazingly awesome!!!

1 Like

Thank you!

Great job, you look awesome! Love the whole costume

1 Like

Thanks!

Wow!! You went all out in the making of this costume! I’m impressed by all the elements you hand made. The ruffles on your shirt sleeves are perfect for that piratical look, the buttons lining the jacket add so much detail, and that vest is just spectacular!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll admit, I felt quite dapper wearing it all. My hair is actually pretty short, and that wig felt absolutely glamorous.

2 Likes

WOW WOW WOW! This is a forever costume with all the thoughtful details and beautiful construction!

1 Like

Beautiful job! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am very impressed with the details…and real pockets! You did a great sewing job to be able to adapt these for many years of costuming!

I am now imagining a story about Ms. Swann meeting Obi…lol

1 Like

This is amazing!

Like @marionberries I usually scour the opshops for something to frankenstein. The only time I made costumes from scratch was a cheerleader circle skirt (a la Grease).

So awesome!

2 Likes

Thanks, all!

I have definitely thrifted a few costumes! When DS2 was a baby, we went as a group as Scarlett Overkill, Kevin, Bob, and Stewart. I managed to find a red dress that just needed some fabric removed to be perfect and DH’s costume at SA.

3 Likes

Both costumes stunning! Love all the little details… I think every garment needs functional pockets.

2 Likes

Thank you! And, I totally agree about pockets. Especially costumes! Carrying a purse ruins the look, but you need a camera/phone and wallet.

2 Likes