Fabric Acorn Ornaments- Green Holiday “Greens” 2022 Entry

My two oak trees put out dozens of pounds of acorns this year. They are Northern Red Oaks, so they have sort of perfect acorns, about 1-1.5" and quintessentially proportioned. So in a rare combination of crafting and yard maintenance, I gathered a bushel basket of them up, and started making things with them. I didn’t get very far into the basket before deciding I had enough, because it’s labor intensive to prepare them for crafting. But anyway, I got a coffee can of acorn tops, which I then sprayed with a matte acrylic sealer. I had a scrappy stash of little Dresden plate pieces I picked up a couple of years ago at a thrift store, and I dug through them to make little combinations of five prints, and started making these:

Not gonna lie, half the fun has been digging through the scraps (a shoebox worth with hardly any repeat prints) to find interesting coordinating fabrics.

34 Likes

These are seriously adorable

1 Like

Love, love, love them! Love.

1 Like

These are so cute! My daughter has been collecting acorns this fall…we discovered acorn weevils this year. :roll_eyes: But she’s been a good sport about leaving her “collection” outside.

These would be an excellent way for her to have an indoor collection, too! Love it!

3 Likes

Kind of perfect for the current Green Decorating Challenge

4 Likes

The fabric variety is incredible…what a nice way to see them without taking up a bunch of space…Did you use glue to attach the caps?

1 Like

These are the best. what a way to bring in nature while also displaying some fun fabrics!

1 Like

Wowzers!! Love the stash busting and the results!

1 Like

I didn’t use glue. The fabric bits are stuffed plump and the caps stay on without help.

1 Like

Yeah, weevils are one of the reasons preparing acorns for crafting is so time consuming. But they more or less leave the tops alone. That said, you can put the acorns in the oven on the lowest setting for half a hour or so, and it will kill any buggies already inside them. I decided to go this route, though, just to be extra sure I’m not bringing any new friends into the house. Lol

2 Likes

Hadn’t seen it, but wish I had. These are also stuffed with the yarn ends I save from all my knitting/crochet crafts.

2 Likes

These are too adorable!

1 Like

These turned out great. Very cool idea!

1 Like

They’re beautiful!

1 Like

But you can totally enter it! @Abbeeroad ?

Oh, one of the rules is that it not have its own thread on the site. Having posted it here, I didn’t think they would be eligible anymore.

I didn’t read that anywhere. It says:
“your entry may not be submitted for any other contest in this community.”

“Each member may only submit one entry, which cannot already be posted on its own thread.”

It’s the rule right above. :frowning:

1 Like

Hey! It can totally be entered! You can’t enter something that has its own post outside the timing of the challenge (as in prior to the start date). I can update that language for clarity. This project both fits within the bookend dates of the challenge AND the criteria of a green “green!” :smile:

5 Likes

Oh, awesome!

1 Like