Flat bread fried in sunflower oil

I wasn’t going to post about this, but it’s too good for me to not have a place where I could remember to try it again…Hoo boy, I love sunflower oil. drool

Sift together:

2+1/4 c. Flour
2+1/4 tsp. Yeast
1 tsp. Salt
1 Tbls. Sugar

Mix and knead in:

2 Tbls. Melted butter
3/4 c. Warm water.

Let rise for an hour to an hour and a half.

Divide into 8 pieces, and roll to 1/8 inch thick. Fry in a hot skillet with only the bottom covered with sunflower oil.

Pairs really well with rosemary roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy made as follows.

Rosemary chicken gravy.

Roast a chicken by sprinkling sage and salt over the top, and toss on two sprigs of rosemary. If using a crockpot, flip the chicken and sprinkle a little more salt and sage onto the flipped side of the chicken about two hours til done. Move the sprigs of sage onto the flipped side, as well.

Scoop out two cups of the broth, and in a small pan, saute two tablespoons of flour with two tablespoons of butter. Mix in broth, and cook til thickened. Salt and pepper to taste…

This is by far my favorite way of roasting chicken so far.

13 Likes

Mmmm! It sounds delicious.

I remember my grandma making fried bread…I wonder if this recipe is similar! I just remember it was delicious fresh out of the pan!

1 Like

Ooooo! Yum! Fried carbs sound just right for this cold snap we’re starting today!

1 Like

it pretty much is a fry bread. Though, I’m not used to yeast doughs as fry bread. mine had always been made with baking powder. I still can’t believe I lost that recipe, :thinking:. It was a general purpose recipe that with minor adjustments could make cupcakes, tortillas, frybread, those canned biscuits, pigs in the blankets, and that’s just what I can remember that I made with it. I think it was 26 years ago the last time I used it. O_o.

I will check my recipe box because I don’t think any yeast was involved in her breads…yes, it was versatile…she made us PIBs as well! It must be a country thing as my great aunt also would make all sorts of things from one mix…maybe that is where Bisquick came from!

1 Like

This looks and sounds so good!

1 Like

Yummm! I love fry bread! Navajo tacos are served on fry bread at my house (or we sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon while it’s still hot) but rosemary chicken sounds delicious, too!

1 Like

This looks delicious!

:sparkles: :heart: :bread: Congratulations! Your fantastic Flat Bread is a Featured Project this week! :bread: :heart: :sparkles:

This sounds really tasty and pretty easy to make!

1 Like