What's cookin', good lookin'?

Made another large batch of aloo paratha…And I wager this is the best I can do for rolling them out. :roll_eyes: . I think because I hurt so much while standing, the learning process is diminished greatly. Pretty much by the time I work the kinks out, I put more effort in trying to find comfortable ways to stand than putting things into memory. At least that’s what I think…Meh, maybe I’m just decrepit, :rofl:

Hmm! Do I dare touch the rosemary chicken in the freezer (that’s supposed to go to the whole family when the kids come over), or do I pop these into the freezer and wait for the kids to come over? Naaaaah! I should eat them, :grin:

6 Likes

Creamy salmon and broccoli pasta, was a great success. Easy to make and got rave reviews from the kid.

9 Likes

Kids raving about a dish with broccoli! You did good!

1 Like

It looks amazing!!

1 Like

Got hit pretty hard with a craving of buckwheat pancakes and berry sauce…so made a double batch so I can have some throughout tomorrow.

Only had enough buttermilk powder to make one batch. Sour milk to the rescue. Which, it works quite well.

1 c. milk
1 Tbls. apple cider vinigar

I tossed in some of my rhubarb I had saved up…and…thank the ancient forgotten gods it’s highly acidic…Oof! the rhubarb smelled like bell peppers…Note to self: Get something better than baggies to freeze vegetables…:no_mouth:

I used my potato masher to make quick work of the blueberries…because, either these blueberries don’t break down like the other berries…or I really don’t have the patience to cook them down, :eyes:.

Anyway, man that was goooooooooood. :yum:

5 Likes

Ooh! I found another good fry/flat bread.

I used my Flat bread recipe and substituted 1/2 c. flour for quinoa flour, and 1/4 c. flour for buckwheat flour.

The qinoa is fairly strong, but not as much as the amaranth, and i like it, too.

It’s not that good with honey, but it’s great with the berry sauce I made, (the post before this one). Also, it’s pretty good with nothing or a little butter. Definitely something I’ll want to remember.

6 Likes

Tofu nuggets tonight:

They were pretty good! It was my first time using Hodo brand tofu and I like it a bit better than some of the other brands I’ve tried.

Recipe:

7 Likes

A picture is unnecessary…can’t see anything in it, heh, but here it is.

I followed a way to make a smooth cheese sauce from the video for “Homemade Sidium Citrate”.

I had used a cheap (Great Value brand) extra sharp cheddar, so there’s a few lumps that didn’t melt, but it’s definitely smooth.

Woops! Realized I really didn’t try it yet. :roll_eyes: …Ok, it is rather gritty, but that might be because of how I encorporated the cheese into the mixture, or it being a cheap cheese. Either way, it’s very doable to make better flavored cheese sauces…that doesn’t need a buttery rich white sauce. :+1:t5:

4 Likes

I made ramen!

(recipe)

6 Likes

ok! I give up. I need something made with mushrooms…but what? what what?

Mushroom gravy. Oh yeah! That hit the spot, and if I could fit my face into the bowl, I’d’ve licked it out. :grinning:

3 Likes

Looks yummy!

1 Like

Hoo boy! I should stop baking…I love bread goods way too much, :rofl:

Yeast Buckwheat & Oat Pancakes:

1 c. Flour
1/2 c. Oat flour
1/2 c. Buckwheat flour
2 Tbls. Sugar
2+1/2 tsp. Yeast
1/2 tsp. Salt
6 Tbls. Powdered buttermilk

Sift ingredients together, then mix in

2 eggs
1+3/4 c. warm water

Let sit for 30-45 minutes, til doubled in size.

I spread butter over the pan for most of them, and sunflower oil for a couple…Ho hooo! both work quite well, :grinning:

Now! What to make to go on them…:thinking:

Huh! Well…that was interesting. Not bad…Not great…It was different, that’s for sure.

plain greek yogurt, mixed with enough sugar to give it a slight sweet flavor. Some squeezed lemon juice, and one or two tablespoons of heavy cream…Whisked as well as my wrist would allow.

2 Likes

Got this Chicken Stuffing Casserole put together this morning, for dinner tonight. I had the chicken breasts already cooked up, so it came together pretty easy. Though I did replace the ‘cream of whatever’ soup with a homemade basic chicken gravy, of butter, flour, chicken broth, and a dash of bullion. I also replaced the sour cream with a vegan version that I love.

4 Likes

I made ramen again, this time with tonkatsu!

I made the tonkatsu in the air fryer (400°F, 17-18? minutes) - they were in a little too long, but they turned out pretty good. :slight_smile: Before cutting up:

Recipes: ramen, tonkatsu

8 Likes

Oooo! Nice! I have a tofu katsu recipe I’ve been wanting to try. Using the air fryer is genius.

1 Like

Welp, for the moment I have a new favorite. Just have to remind myself to watch it on the liquids. :no_mouth:

Noodles this time were a penne. (if I can remember it I’ll try to find the video to put with this. The penne are made by pressing a knife onto a strip of noodle and pulling it back which curls the noodles around in a thin tube…Yeah, reading that leaves a lot to the imagination, :rofl:)

It’s so simple, too.

1/2 c. heavy cream
2 Tbls. Plain greek yogurt
6 Tbls. milk
2 pinches of nutmeg
1 pinch of clove
three small cloves of garlic
2 Tbls. chopped onion
1 Tbls. Grated Romano cheese
1 Tbls. Grated aged Asiago cheese
1/2 c. cut mushrooms
7 medium shrimp…shrimps

:eyes: Ok, writing that out, it’s not so simple :rofl:

I do find I need to eat it with homemade noodles…Oof! made it with Bertoli shells the other day and I was starving after eating it.

Also…There is such a thing as a too small batch of noodles…That was difficult to knead, heh.

3 Likes

Okily dokily! I spent a little bit of time to find the ratios for patato to flour & egg to flour for making some gnocchi.

So far what I have is:

1. Potato => Flour 453g : 50g or 453g : 62g
  2. Egg => Flour 50g : 50g or 50g : 62g

Using only the yolk to add a little color to the mix, I had only a 19g egg yolk.

So, what I made for potato:egg is 141g:19g which came to 35g of flour rounded up (using the n:50g ratios).

Since I boiled the potato I presumed I might need a little more flour, so of course I over kneaded the dough, again, :roll_eyes:, as I added 50g more flour to the mixture in 10 gram increments. The dough is still heavily sticky, though, but I have a base to start from for the next time.

Hence: Here’s a unique search term for me to find this later, :rofl:. unclechuckie gnocchi catwithseventoes gnocchi gnocchi ratios (That should help me to find this if I forget where I put my notes, :rofl:).

Update:

In all the videos I’ve watched, I’ve never seen anyone fight with such a sticky batch of gnocchi, and I know I didn’t put in that small amount of flour…Hoo boy! Anyway, they are very very…very soft. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

I made baked sweet potato fries today, seasoned with fresh lemongrass and ginger (because they were in the fridge. You can leave them out, or substitute something else). The potatoes didn’t get real crispy, but tasted great! Even my husband loved them!

“recipe”:
Two sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" sticks
A stalk of lemongrass, diced
A 1" knob of ginger, peeled and diced
Salt
Olive oil. Couple Tbs?

Combine all, bake at 450° for 30 minutes, flip and bake until brown

Next time, I’ll coat them in corn starch for crunch, and add a little sesame oil for flavor, and I’ll broil instead, checking every 5 minutes.

The lemongrass wasn’t really edible, but added flavor. I’ll leave it bigger next time . The ginger was delicious.

Update: tried again, with cornstarch. Not really crisper (I baked, not broiled), but I left off the silicone pan liner, and the bottoms browned nicely on the hot pan.

5 Likes

Caramel Syrup

i followstrong texted the recipe in the link, but didn’t get it to the desired color. However, what I am doing with it, it’s not that important. (almost took 20 minutes, :no_mouth:).

After it was done, I blended in just a pinch of salt, vanilla (which I mixed into the boiling water, just to be on the safe side, heh). Then I blended in one tablespoon each of powdered black walnuts and sunflower seeds.

Drum roll! Ooh! It’s not bad. Definitely didn’t cook the sugar right, but meh, next time will be better, :rofl:.

The buckwheat pancaks are made as usual but with 1/4 c. quinoa flour and three tablespoons of ground sunflower seeds. 2 tablespoons would have been enough, :person_shrugging:t5:.

have to see how it looks tomorrow…but I do think I have something to top the pancakes with. (don’t like extremely sweet things in large quantities, so I only drizzle sugary syrups onto them. Just enough for flavor).

Drat! The syrup crystalized while I was making this post. Crud! Going to reheat it and add a little more water.

Aaaaand even the drizzle was too much sugar…Eeeeewl

3 Likes

Rob loves to bake but flour based breads are not good for me so he’s always trying to find alternatives. Mostly recently he made this lentil flatbread that tastes a bit like injera, pretty amazing actually. Soft, flexible, nice & thin. It’s only lentils, water & salt but he added cumin to counter a slight after taste. Pretty nifty recipe all around.

5 Likes