Garden veggie quilted play mat

I am finally finished the second version of this quilt based on @pottermouth’s Snail Streak game. Whew, that only took 2+years :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It’s backed with a cool thrifted sheet that is really great quality so should hold up to lots of kid love.

I had it professionally quilted but we’re going to meet baby today & I’ve run out of time for my preferred method of hand binding. It’s machine done & I went over it with a decorative zigzaggy stitch.

That should help it stand up to frequent washing anyhow. It’s quite firm with 2 layers of fleecy felty stuff fused to another layer of sheeting inside. The long arm quilter said she’d never quilted anything quite so stiff. It’s not meant as a blanket though, more a mat for play.

Special thanks to @AIMR for contributing veggie fabrics, I’m still using up all the scraps!

21 Likes

My goodness this is cheery! I love that the brown borders (?) give it a veggie crate vibe and the red and white checks give it a picnic vibe. YEY!

3 Likes

It’s actually a game with crocheted creatures that traverse the garden patches to reach the other side which has crocheted veggies. The worm went missing though & needs to be found or remade, and the big foam dice requires alterations too. Baby is too wee for games yet though so there’s time to get that done before next visit.

5 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

It’s very cute! I think the brown looks like garden soil and then the picnic fabric all around the edge makes it look so lively and fun. Wish we could see some action shots of the game being played.

2 Likes

There are actions shots of the game in both links, we each made different creatures, veggies & dice!

2 Likes

Thanks for the links! Looks like a blast for the kiddos, and all the little game pieces are so cute!

2 Likes

I love that you used a contrast color on the back…and that it is thrifted sheet! The whole thing from the colors to the construction is wonderful…what a great idea to double up the insides to make a mat…it will be great for a lot of baby floor things!

2 Likes

@MzBee & fam loved it, happy to report it’s already baby slobbered on, lol!

5 Likes

The veggie’s do make it look perfect for a picnic. I am sure it will be used for more than the game. Adorable.

1 Like

:star: Congratulations! Your awesome project is one of this week’s featured projects! :star:

1 Like

This looks like it was an amazing labor of love! What a fun gift!

1 Like

Finally finished the game pieces for this, whew!

1 Like