Handspun Diamond Ridges Hat

I spun up 4 oz. of hand-dyed BFL last year, and I thought it would be just enough for a hat. I was right! I had less than 10 yards left when I was done. This will be a birthday gift for my MIL. Because of my FIL’s surgery next month, they are spending more time up North this winter (and she hates the cold) - they usually go South in January and stay til spring.

The pattern is Diamond Ridges by Kristy Ashmore. It’s a thick, heavy hat. The pattern called for DK weight, and my yarn was slightly thicker than that. It ended up a little large, but not uncomfortably so…it just doesn’t need to stretch much at all to fit a woman’s head. It has plenty of stretch to fit a larger head, though. I did substitute alternating fpdc/bpdc for the ribbing and decreased by about 7-8 stitches.

front

back

26 Likes

Beautiful pattern for your gorgeous yarn! The colors are cheerful for anyone who hates the cold (I am one of those!)…your MIL is lucky that you picked her to share your special yarn by making her this hat…

2 Likes

Scrumptious colors. Almost makes me want to learn to knit!

2 Likes

That’s gorgeous. I’m glad the texture of the sitches didn’t hide the amazing yarn. Instead, it seems to call out its beauty!

3 Likes

This is so pretty and cozy-looking!

2 Likes

Absolutely lovely!

2 Likes

Love the colors and the fact you made the yarn is super impressive!

1 Like

That’s such a beautiful hat that looks quite comfortable! I really like the colours!

1 Like

Thanks, everybody!

Beautiful!! I love your colors! Handmade is always special, but when you made the yarn as well it’s like handmade on steroids!

2 Likes

Love the texture using the handspun! Sometimes it’s hard to see.

1 Like

:point_right: WOOHOO! Your awesome project is a featured project this week! :point_left:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Gorgeous hat from your even more gorgeous yarn! I’ve been looking at this hat pattern lately so I’m now inspired to find a yarn in my stash to get started. :heart:

1 Like

How would someone wear this and resist the urge to simply cuddle up with all those lovely textures? For that matter, that’s how I’d feel about the yarn itself.

1 Like

Gorgeous fiber, even nicer stitched up. That hat is a winner.

1 Like