Hanging Door Organizer

I’m working on a bit of a home improvement project involving our pantry and certain kitchen cabinets. I decided that a back-of-the-door organizer on one of the pantry doors would be very helpful, thinking I had one tucked away. I did not and did not find one at one of the few places I go to shop these days.

It’s perhaps a little… louder… than I had originally intended, but I was able to make it entirely from stash and remnants. The striped/floral are curtain panels that came from a friend who bought a house that they were in and didn’t want them. They were just about the perfect size as is so I have hardly any left to deal with! I do wish I’d chosen flowers at top of the front piece instead of the back piece, but oh well.

I have had the scraps of this net material in my stash for probably at least 15 years. Left over from making lingerie bags for laundry. The scrappy bias tape was made a few years ago for a different project; I had plenty left over for this.

So far what is mostly going to be stored in this is not really what most people think of as pantry stuff: electronics accessories; cords, adapters, chargers, etc. What this accomplishes is freeing up space for more appropriate items in a drawer in our small kitchen island.

I also used Pellon’s Peltex 71F Single-sided Fusible Ultra Firm Stabilizer to give it body and rigidity which I also had just the right amount of on hand. Then I used up the last of a roll of fusible tape to tack on the fabric on the other side! It feels especially nice to not just use, but use up (or allllmost use up) stashed materials!

The last of the stash materials include the white poly single-fold bias tape on the bottom of the pouches which came in a baggie of various vintage trims picked up at a thrift store or garage sale and grommets that are from a package that was in my mom’s sewing box for as long as I remember and which I absconded with decades ago and keep putting to use. YEY!

31 Likes

I think this “loud” is good! I’m just amazed you made this from stash! How neat to finally use something that’s been hanging around for 15 years! What a great storage idea!

1 Like

Love the mesh pockets; like plastic, but durable.

I made something similar for my laundry room, but just used black indoor/outdoor fabric I had on hand. Now I want bright colors like yours!

1 Like

I love that curtain fabric! :heart_eyes: This is a brilliant idea, those door organizers are very useful. I have one in my craft room.

1 Like

Brilliant! I love the bright stripes and flowers.

1 Like

This is really great T! Well done on using so much stash. And I totally get it about the using up stash, that’s even better!

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

I am happy with the cheeriness of it, but there is SO MUCH going on in this under-stairs pantry that any added visual “variety” could be a little overwhelming. :rofl: And isn’t that the thing about a big stash? It’s so dang useful!

I had originally planned on using clear vinyl that I also have in my stash, but the thought of wrestling with it meant I kept procrastinating on making this. Then I saw a similar type of storage piece for bras using a much finer mesh and remembered that I had this and decided to go with this instead.

3 Likes

It’s wonderfully cheery, and stash projects are always a great feeling. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Nice job! What a great idea.

1 Like

I absolutely LOVE that fabric! Love it! I would have taken it too. Glad that it got a life out in the open for such a useful project. Useful crafts are the bee’s knees. :honeybee:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

What a great idea for those random “junk” drawer items! And, I do love how bright and cheery it is. Did you use a pattern, or did you just wing it? I would have had trouble sorting out the mesh pockets (but I see that you added a pleat at the bottom, which would solve the problem I imagine I would have). I like how you customized the size on the bottom row. I love how scrappy it is, too, and fabulous job of stashbusting!

1 Like

Thanks! I did watch one YouTube video wherein the maker used clean vinyl rather than mesh to get the gist of it. Then I winged it based on the size of my door and the materials I had on hand!

2 Likes

Congrats, your project is featured this week!

2 Likes

I remember that bias tape! It looks great on this project. We have a bin of electronic cables, when you try to take one out the whole lots lifts up in a cube shape. Your solution is much better, lol.

2 Likes

Awwww, thank you!

#twentyfirstcenturyproblems

1 Like

Love it, way better than a boring ol plain one!

I super super love this! I use something similar to house all of my varying sizes of zippers. This is SO CUTE! I love it!

It looks great!
And they always come in handy.
I used to make them out of used jeans, many many years ago.
But I like how you used the curtain fabric, so it is light and airy.
Great job.

1 Like

Well, thanks everyone!