Talk Scrappy to Me Challenge

The hardest part will be choosing what to enter! Dang…

9 Likes

The links you’ve posted are so inspiring! I’m so down for this challenge

4 Likes

Oooh, I might have to try this one! I just made something scrappy for the OWS… Maybe I could make an even scrappier something :smirk:

5 Likes

Very inspiring challenge!

2 Likes

Oh the possibilities are endless!!

2 Likes

In case you need an excuse to get scrappy, there’s a flag swap coming up!
There’s also a whole fabric scrap-along topic.
A couple of my fave scrap fabric projects:
@tendstowardschaos quilt, that’s just one of many!
@Lynx’s twine wreath
@TheMistressT’s scrappy bias tape (original topic lost to cster but here’s some of it in use!)
And of course the recent Sew Scrappy gallery is full of incredible stuff!

8 Likes

You are the perfect cheerleader for this challenge! Thanks for being such a prolific scrappy project maker and for inspiring us with your projects and those of our fellow scrappy members!

Wow! So many ideas…it will be hard to narrow down what to make…anything can be made scrappy!!

5 Likes

Speaking of scraps, look what my momma gave me!
Yesterday she and I met up at the Hoosier Hills Fiber Festival (more on that in an upcoming post) and she gave me two garbage bags full of 100% linen, 100%wool, canvas, and a few quilting cottons. Mom sews early American reproduction clothing for this company and she was kind enough to save me all the scraps! :star_struck::star_struck:

Linen:

I feel like the natural colored scraps are begging to become a prayer flag.

Heavy canvas:

Quilting cottons:

Wools - I didn’t realize the photo was fuzzy. Just know this is a HUGE pile. @Magpie suggested that I make a quilt with yarn ties at each corner. There is more than enough for a full sized quilt.

10 Likes

Are repurposed things included? I have lots old broken jewelry I’m contemplating remaking something new…

5 Likes

OMG, yes please. I wanna see your makes outta that!

2 Likes

I’d say yes… sorta, on repurposed things. Your broken jewelry sounds like a great idea that would fit in. I just want to be clear that this isn’t specifically a recycle/upcycle challenge, like making wind chimes out of plastic water bottles. Not that that’s not cool. Just that’s a specific type of challenge that we’ve done before, and THIS particular challenge is about using scraps leftover from making something else, in a new way. So if you make a pie, and you have leftover scraps of pastry dough, and bake them into tiny hand pies. Or if you have offcuts of wood from building a deck, and you use them to make a side table. And of course the classics, like making a tote bag out of scraps from making a quilt.

And just to clarify your scraps do not all have to be from one particular past project, like scraps from a single quilt turned into a pillow. It can be scraps from many projects.

6 Likes

I have two potential projects in mind that I’m not sure about …

When I packed up my craft room in November / December, I came across some scraps leftover from a quilt I made a couple of years ago. I managed to turn those into two tops for baby quilts before I had to put those in storage as well. Coincidentally, this morning I picked up some more items from our storage unit and came across them, and took them home. I finally have my machines, a table and some projects at the same place for the first time in 6 months, so I’m going to finish them up soon. But as they top was already done last winter, would this project count?

And also, do the scraps leftover from making something have to be your own scraps? Because I rescued some cut-off pieces of tile from the dumpster, technically those are scraps. I bought the tiles but the tiler cut them up laying the floors. I’m thinking of turning those into a mosaic project for the garden. Would that count?

4 Likes

I say yes to all! But clearly I am biased :smile:

I’m literally overwhelmed with choices. I can’t brain very much about this without spinning off into the multiverse of possibilities, it’s just… too exciting!

4 Likes

Sounds Fun!

4 Likes

Well, I sorted a bunch of (probably way too many) scraps and started playing, although I’m not really sure what I think I’m making…

5 Likes

Haha. I feel like that when I play with my scraps too. The scraps lead the way… :laughing:

7 Likes

I have scraps, oh my, let me craft!

5 Likes

I have an idea for this that is not my typical scrap crafting, but I’m excited about it. I might need to purchase one thing though, so starting will have to wait a bit.

4 Likes

Here is my entry for the Talk Scrappy to Me Challenge!

This project has been in US/Canadian mail limbo for a month. I cheated the postal system and declared the package as documents because it costs around $3 instead of the $20 they charge for a regular package of the same size & weight. I thought the postal system gods were finally punishing me. :smile:

Scraptatic Pouch From Super Scrappy Denim Jacket Leftovers - Talk Scrappy to Me Challenge Entry

7 Likes

Yes, I would say they absolutely count, as long as you haven’t posted them here as their own thread already. (Showing off progress in the Snapshot thread or Quiltalong is totally fine.)

No, I think scraps that CAME to you are totally fair game. The tiles are from your home improvements, even if you didn’t install them yourself. And MightyMitochondria’s scraps were given to her by her mom. Also fair game.

Where I think I would draw the line is BUYING scraps to create something. The scraps should be yours from previous projects or something freely given to you. An example of something I think would be cheating the spirit of the Challenge, would be if I went to the Creative Reuse Store here in town and bought various bits of donated fabric, and called them my scraps. They would have been purchased specifically for this challenge. However, if I made a scrappy tote bag from my own patchwork scraps, and bought a piece of fabric there to make the lining, that would be fair. Does that make sense?

8 Likes