CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

**Class or Challenge Title: Care of Magical Creatures
House: Hufflepuff
**Project Name & Page Link: Zucchini Cake https://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/blueberry-zucchini-snack-cake-with-lemon-buttercream/?utm_source=JV&utm_medium=PP
**Brief Description: I grew the zucchini in this cake from seeds this year and got the blueberries from the farmerā€™s market the day I baked the cake. It was for my brotherā€™s birthday (we sat outside at a restaurant and distanced) and my family loved it! It was so moist and yummy. If you left the icing off it would even be kind of healthy? :sweat_smile: It fits the prompt because the blueberries are a surprise and are bright blue!
Project picture:

4 Likes

Ooh, that icing looks dangerous :wink:. I also made blueberry zucchini baked stuff this weekend. Great minds, huh?

LOVE the rainbow bag!

1 Like

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:
Round 1 of the Summer Quidditch Season is over! Round 2 will open later today.

Class or Challenge Title: CoMC: Something Tricky
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link Low Carb Keto Lemon Blueberry Zucchini bread
Brief Description: Iā€™m trying hard to stick with my keto diet, and gluten free/Keto baking can be very tricky. Especially when you have to substitute an ingredient because the xanthan gum somehow disappeared!
This came out VERY moist. I tried my best to squeeze out the water from the zucchini with a colander, but I guess I need to invest in some cheesecloth for next time. And possibility bake an extra 5 minutes or so.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 12: Mirror of Erised
House: SlytherinšŸ
Project Name & Page Link Low Carb Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Brief Description: About this time of the month I always feel a deep desire for some tasty chocolate dessert. The zucchini used in the above bread recipe was large enough to use for these muffins as well!
Project Picture:

ETA, bake, not battleā€¦lol. and to condense projects to 1 post.

2 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Mikeā€™s Custom DoubleKnit Scarf
House: Slytherin
Brief Description:
I was asked to design and knit a scarf for a friend. After some back and forth about the color, size and design elements, it became clear that the best technique to use for this would be double knitting, a technique that I have not done before. I will be using 2 colors of Knit Picks Brava Sport, and pattern chart of my own design. The deadline Iā€™m imposing is Dec 1, 2020. I made a brief attempt earlier in the year, but had to undo it when I got horribly turned around in the chart. I plan to set aside time each week to add to the progress. This is a very large project, being a wide, full length scarf for a 6ā€™ something man.

@MistressJennie
@Abbeeroad

1 Like

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Quidditch Announcement :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

Round 2 is now open!

Meanwhile, we were supposed to have 4 matches in this round. But due to having two tie games in Round 1, weā€™ve got 2 rematches this round. Thatā€™s right, the Stonewall Stormers will be back against the Moutohora Macaws, and the Sweetwater All-Stars will face the Fitchburg Finches again, to see who ultimately comes out on top.

2 Likes

A new Hermioneā€™s Book Club prompt has been posted!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Hermioneā€™s Book Club - Chapter 13
Project Name & Page Link: Itty Bitty Boxy Pouch for Aunt Alice (made with this pattern)
Brief Description: I made this quickly as part of a birthday present for my aunt. The outer fabrics remind me of really dark chocolate, while the lining is more of a caramel color.

IMG_0171 (500x333)

5 Likes

Thanks for the new round of Quidditch prompts @MistressJennie :smiley:

Iā€™m feeling a bit down today - in Melbourne we are in the middle of our second hard lockdown and as of midnight last night masks are compulsory if you are out (or face a $200 fine). Iā€™m feeling a bit stir crazy being stuck at home. Iā€™m a teacher, and I have to do remote teaching until this lockdown is over. I do get to go to work tomorrow, to supervise the children of essential workers and meet with my team, which Iā€™m really looking forward to.

So I guess long story short, Iā€™m always jumping on LC to see whatā€™s new and to try to escape a little from the repetitive days at home and I really enjoy reading the posts and all of the thought that goes into them.

Iā€™m already working on my first prompt :wink:

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Cup - Barnton Quidditch
House: :lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Link to recipe
Brief Description: Make a recipe that uses Jam - One for the Keto fans among us x
Barnton Quidditch was the first thing that jumped out at me when I saw the new round of the Quidditch Cup. I bought some delicious sugar free raspberry jam, and although itā€™s nice to enjoy a little here and there I thought. ā€œThis is going to last me forever!ā€. So this recipe was a nice way to use some of it up. My cookies are a little larger than in the post, so to be safe Iā€™m going to say that they are 3g of carbs each.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s sounds tough. A friend of mine is remote teaching her Head Start classes, and itā€™s just exhausting and difficult for all involved. I feel so bad for teachers, students, and parents right now.

Ooh, thumbprint cookies! I havenā€™t had those since my gluten intolerance diagnosis 7 years ago! Itā€™s a very frustrating process when baking is a hobby and you suddenly have to modify or find new versions of all your favorite thingsā€¦

Dice bags!!! Oh my! I need one of those someday! Our dice collection is starting to get out of hand. Darn D&D.

1 Like

Heheheheā€¦ I just happen to be working on a Hufflepuff one today.

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Raspberry Jelly
Brief Description: I predict that canning will be all the rage! With all the pandemic gardening, people are soon going to find that they need to start preserving their harvests! CANNING! Iā€™ve been canning for 15 years now. Iā€™ve harvested SO MANY raspberries from our garden this year. Just gallons and gallons. I bought a steam juicer last year, so I stream juiced my raspberries and then used the juice for a batch of jelly. It turned out so wonderful, they all sealed and gelled nicely. My family LOVES it! I feel like the steam juicing made for a more concentrated juice, so the jelly is so flavorful. Using the steam juicer just made the whole process so much easier and less messy. 8 jars of jelly now on my canning wall! Here is raspberry jelly recipe from my safe canning group:

Raspberry Jelly
Yield: 6 half-pints
4 cups prepared juice (2 Ā½ quarts fully ripe red raspberries) 5 Ā½ cups sugar 1 box (1 Ā¾ ounces) powdered pectin (Purchase fresh pectin each year. Old pectin may result in poor jelling.)
Thoroughly crush, one layer at a time, 2 Ā½ quarts red raspberries. Place crushed fruit in jelly cloth and let drip. When dripping has almost ceased, press gently. Measure 4 cups juice into a large bowl or pan.
Measure sugar and set aside. Mix pectin and juice and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in the sugar all at once. Stir and bring to a full boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Or cook to the jelling point-217 to 220 degrees. Or use the ā€œsheet off a spoonā€ method to determine if you have reached the jelling point.
Remove from heat. Skim off foam and ladle into hot, sterilized jars through a wide-mouthed funnel, leaving Ā¼ inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner: half-pints for 5 minutes, adjusted for your altitude.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
House: Huffelpuff
Project Name & Page Link: Raspberry Syrup
Brief Description: More raspberries, more steam juicing, and now raspberry syrup! I love berry syrup on my pancakes and waffles. They are my favorite! They are such a beautiful jewel color, and so clear. Just such pretty jars!
https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/berry_syrup.html
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Another charcuterie board!
Brief Description: We had a game day with Ethanā€™s siblings and we decided to class it up with a charcuterie. It was a group effort from my husband who helped me cut up meats. It was a hi!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum Challenge
SPEW or LC Contest: LC Contest
Project Name & Page Link: Masks 7/16/20
Brief Description: Yup, more masks. Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s all I do now. lol. 9 in this batch!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum Challenge
SPEW or LC Contest: LC Contest
Project Name & Page Link: Masks 7/20/20
Brief Description: And more masks for family and friends. 8 in this batch!
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash materials
House: SlytherinšŸ
Project Name & Page Link Witch Underpants vanilla socks
Brief Description: These socks were done with a skein of self striping yarns, with a contrasting purple skeinfor heels and cuff. Both are from Biscotte Yarns, and have been sitting in stash for about a year now. The pattern is a basic vanilla sock that I have customized and memorized, so there is no pattern to link.
Project Picture:
upload_medium2

4 Likes

I wish I knew how to knit socksā€¦if I did, that would be all I would wear :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Try it! Thereā€™s so many ways to do it, you just need to figure out if your a double point needle or magic loop knitter, of you like toe up or top down construction. And there are so many options for heels.

1 Like

Me, too!!!