Have a Heart Quilt Top

After making 2 quilt tops for Edel in the Go Bananas Swap, I was still on a quilting high. I still had tons of fabric stash to bust, so I decided to make one more quilt top. A Youtube video I watched a couple weeks ago suggested managing your scrap fabric by cutting everything into 4 different sizes: 5" wide strips, 5" squares, 2.5" wide strips, and 2.5" squares. Since I already had a bunch of 2.5" strips leftover from previous quilt designs, I started with that.

I looked through a ton of strip quilt designs, and found one that could work well with my very scrappy rainbow bundle of strips. The pattern is called Have a Heart by J. Michelle Watts. The rainbow includes fabrics from countless wedding and baby quilts made for friends and family over the years. The ivory background is from a linen-cotton sheet

Here it is laying on a queen bed. It’s not quite as big as a queen quilt, but easily could be with the addition of a border or two. I haven’t figured out where it’s going yet, so I haven’t decided if I should add some more borders, but for now it feels ‘done’.

I’m really happy with how it came out, but after 3 quilt tops, I think it’s time to clean up the fabrics in my studio, and play with some other crafts today. :slightly_smiling_face:

33 Likes

So pretty! I love that so many of the fabrics speak of gifts of love to others. :heart:

3 Likes

pure perfection!

2 Likes

So beautiful - you can feel the love in every stitch :heart:

2 Likes

Love, love, love this!

2 Likes

I love that you make so many rainbow themed items, and am sincerely amazed at how you and others are able to turn out quilt tops like nobody’s business!

I am trying to crochet-you know, my go to talent-a baby sweater, and it’s taken me hours and it’s still not done!

2 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

So beautiful! (I also love the idea about cutting all leftovers into specific sizes and shapes. I think that could work for papercrafts, too.) What a gorgeous, celebratory quilt!

4 Likes

Love this idea … I have a ton of selvage edges that might make a beautiful heart quilt.

4 Likes

This is beautiful, well done.

3 Likes

I love this so much! Fabulous use of scraps.

3 Likes

It’s so gorgeous!

3 Likes

It is beautiful!

3 Likes

Really pretty!!

3 Likes

I love this so much!!! Stash busting at its best. :heart:

2 Likes

Congrats! Your Have a Heart Quilt Top is one of this week’s featured projects. Way to rock the craft world!

2 Likes

Thanks kk!

I do not normally quilt. I have only made one in my life and that was years and years ago for my father for Christmas (his mom always made him one and she had recently passed so I did it in remembrance). After this Christmas I decided to give it another go and quilt a heart ottoman cover. I am still in the cutting out of squares phase (fussy cut or die) and I was questioning if the area around the heart should be different color patches or one solid color. Originally I thought one solid color but started second guessing myself. Seeing how beautifully yours turned out with the solid has inspired me to get back to my project. This is so pretty! I love the way you blended the colors. Beautiful!

1 Like

Woah! That’s so beautiful, colorful, and amazing! I just want to dig in and look at all of those lovely colored fabric patterns!