Quiltalong - 2023

I finished quilting the second memory quilt. I should trim and bind them both now, but I have two quilt tops that have been waiting around for ages. So while the dining room table is already moved, I decided to pin baste and quilt them too. First one is the scrappy Diamond Trip.

10 Likes

That’s lovely Jennie, the blue diamonds make it pop

1 Like

@MistressJennie fun quilt top.

My flannel quilt is stalled…some where out there is the extra material I ordered.

2 Likes

I got the Diamond Trip quilted today! Tried to pull out the pieces to quilt my Have a Heart top next, but when I unfolded it, it was bigger than I remembered, and bigger than the twin batting I have. I’m either going to have to pick up a bigger piece of batting, or look into getting it quilted from a long arm.

5 Likes

@MistressJennie, it sounds like you’ve been super productive at getting everything quilted! I hope you’re able to get them bound and finished soon (this is where I sometimes stall out and why 2? maybe 3 years later I still have three quilts that just need to be labeled and bound).

@marionberries, I hope your material arrives soon!

I’m always impressed by how so many of you in the quiltalong manage to complete quilts so quickly! I’ve finished the stitching on my mom’s Candy Corn Quilt Shoppe quilt and just need to bind and label it, then it will be time to add the embellishments! I think I’ll get hers bound (no more stalling on this one, this is already my third year of working on it), then stitch and bind mine. That way I’ll get the ‘work’ out of the way and then I can finish them both with the last fun step of adding embellishments.

4 Likes

Well I definitely have to bind and send the two memory quilts soon. I’m just finding them so emotionally difficult to work on. I get a burst of speed and move along for awhile, but feel emotionally drained after a big step, and seem to want a mental break. If Jess had asked for just one, I think I would have sent it by now. But two just makes everything feel so big. I really should just jump over to trimming those down and binding them today, and yet I feel not ready to do it.

Meanwhile, there’s the Have a Heart top…

I made it back in May 2020. I had just done 2 ‘buy-nothing’ quilt tops for Edel in a swap, and was on a roll. I used scraps for the heart, but for the background I used a linen/cotton blend bedsheet that I had on hand. (It was May 2020, I wasn’t going to Joann’s!) The sheet is incredibly soft, as it had been laundered many times. The kinda linen softness where it feels like velvet. So nice, but it’s also a bit more ‘wodgie’ than quilting cotton. It has sat around since then. I assumed it was lap/throw size, so I bought a package of Twin size batting to finish it, but it’s actually bigger than that. I do have backing, and I would LOVE to get this out of the WIP pile, but I’m worried that even if I go get bigger batting, it might be too big to comfortably move through my domestic machine. Now I’m trying to decide if I should finish it myself, or if I should send it out to be long armed.

I mean, it is a Covid quilt, so the ‘I Can Make Anything out of Paperclips and Dryer Lint’ part of me wants to finish it without help, with just whatever I have on hand. Pandemic-make-do-quilt! And I do have large scraps of the exact same batting that I just cut off the other 3 projects I quilted. I could piece the batting to make it bigger. And I could go for a big risk, and try quilting it on my machine with a walking foot so I’m not struggling so much to drag it through free-motion style.

And then there’s ‘Perfectionist Hermione-Granger Jennie’ who says “What if that’s a huge mistake??? What if it comes out awful and Prof. McGonagall comes to take your sewing machine away for being a crappy quilter, and you have to live with untalented Muggles for the rest of your days?!?!”

Then there’s ‘Fu@&-it Jennie’ who is sitting there pushing me to jump. “What have you got to lose? They’re scraps. If it comes out awful, it can go in the back of the cupboard, and you can let Ada puke all over it or build forts with it, or take it to the park to get grass stained.”

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s the attitude! I love this quilt top.

2 Likes

Fu@& It Jennie seems to have won the debate.

10 Likes

I love that pattern. I have it on my “maybe one day” list.

2 Likes

Today wasn’t as productive as I’d hoped, but I did get 12 of the rows quilted in the ditch. About 22 left?

4 Likes

I’ve finally finished this flimsy, since I was winging the pattern there are many areas just fudged. I hand sewed the centres as it was nowhere near as it should have been.

It looks like it’s not going to lay completely flat, although I haven’t stretched out properly, so I’m thinking of straight line quilting radiating out from the centre, will that work? Or is there something better?

Also I don’t think I think I want to square it off, by adding more fabric to the “corners” anyone got any idea as to how I would approach that?

Edit: now that I look at the photo, it seems the easiest way to make it a square would be to add a black triangle to four opposite sides.

13 Likes

Wow :star_struck:

1 Like

It is quite beautiful. Do you definitely want to square it? It would look cool on a wall in this shape.

1 Like

I do because it’s going to my daughter for her bed. So a square will be more practical

3 Likes

I am a very lazy seamstress and would just pin it on top of a black sheet and zigzag the raw edges. Voila, quilt top!

2 Likes

Each of the corner triangles will be right triangles. You know the hypotenuse - it’s the edge of the quilt. The two shorter sides of the triangles will be equal to each other.

Add in seam allowance to a and cut two squares with sides that length, and cut those corner to corner.

4 Likes

I have been incredibly busy this summer but this crossed my screen and I will make the blocks!

Free pattern - moths!
don’t look if you aren’t fond of bugs.

5 Likes

Thank you, I totally missed this response, but I really appreciate it. :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

4 Likes

@Magpie, those moths are wonderful. And she has butterflies too. I think I’ll make a larger version.

More for my daughter’s quilt…
I marionberries submit this as my September BOM.

I marionberries, offer musical trees for my February prompt, Paper Piecing. Ok it’s very late and you can ignore this, but I couldn’t resist. :slight_smile: :upside_down_face:

I created the pattern for this and struggled with the piecing. I was using charm squares for many of the greens and it was tricky getting them oriented correctly. But I made it. I love it, it is my favorite tree block yet.

15 Likes

Ooh, so pretty. That’s a terrific block.

1 Like