Have a Heart Quilt

Y’all, I’m am so glad to have this one done! I pieced the top back in May of 2020, after making a few scrap quilt tops for Edel in the Go Bananas Swap. As it was the absolute height of the pandemic fear and isolation, I wanted to use up things I had on hand. The rainbow of stripes are actually mostly pieced of multiple fabrics in each color, to use as much as I could, and make it as scrappy as possible. The ivory background is actually a cotton/linen bedsheet. The bottom sheet had a few holes worn into it, but the top sheet was in great shape, so I sliced and diced it up to make the backgound. I do love how it looks and feels (it’s as soft as velvet), but the fabric was very woodgy to work with.

The top got put aside as I couldn’t go pick up batting at the time, and didn’t have any laying around. When quilting it a couple weeks ago, in the spirit of ‘pandemic making-do’ I actually Frankensteined several scraps of batting together to make a big enough piece to use. The backing is a flannel I picked up on clearance at Joann’s in 2022 when I hoped to finish it before moving, but didn’t manage it. The binding is a rainbow batik that has been in my stash for several years. I like how it was scrap that I was able to use up, and fits with the rainbow heart so well.

Finally, getting pictures is hard. Ada is determined to claim all blankets and quilts in the house, and this was no exception. She’s currently carrying it around the living room.

26 Likes

So many colours! :heart_eyes: Good for you, making that final push and getting it done… it’s absolutely gorgeous!

1 Like

Really lovely…and it has a story of rougher times and where you were at in your headspace at that time! Glad you got it done so you can move on!

1 Like

Love the quilt, the story, the determined blanket hoarder!

2 Likes

This turned out beautiful!

1 Like

Ah, the possesiveness of the young! We never out grow it…we just hide it better. Because I want this scrappy heart! It’s amazing and just plain yummy.

3 Likes

So pretty! I could have used a big cuddle quilt when I took a snooze on the couch today.

1 Like

Gorgeous! The binding is perfect for it!

1 Like

She has excellent taste, it’s really lovely

1 Like

This is just lovely my friend. I love all the details of the story of its creation. I’m with Ada…I think you should keep this one. :heart:

1 Like

I REALLY like this quilt. All the different scraps just flow so effortlessly into each other.

1 Like

I have always loved this quilt pattern and you did an amazing job. You must have a great selection of fabric to get that blend so wonderful!

2 Likes

Delightful! I love how the “chunky” edges of the heart celebrate the scrappiness.

1 Like

:rainbow: Congratulations! This heart-tacular project is featured this week! :rainbow:

1 Like

Aww, thank you!

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Goodness, LC quilts are on fire lately!! I absolutely adore this.

1 Like

I remember when you made this quilt top and the finished product is beautiful!

2 Likes

This is beautiful! I love how you used up lots of scrap to make something new.

I really like the scrappiness of this quilt and your placement of the various colors. The cream colored background works really well with the heart and adds an extra layer of softness to the quilt. I love your choice of binding fabric, it frames the quilt perfectly! I feel like that first pic really captures Ada’s appreciation of this quilt. :heart:

1 Like