Home Decorated Cakes, Pre Social Media Edition

Inspired by this post, I am posting my made-by-loving-hands-at-home cakes. I am so glad there was no social media back then when my children were small!

The parties always had a theme.

Child #1

Castles and Dragons (age 5)

cake

pinata

Under the Sea (age 6)

cake

pinata (and small sister, check out the fabric on her dress :slight_smile: )

Unbirthday Half-Birthday / Back to school (age 6 1/2)

Because her birthday is in the winter and she never got to have an “outdoor” party.

Treasure Hunt (age 7)

cake.
I can’t find a picture of the pinata.

Mad Scientists (age 8)

cake

pinata

Frogs (age 9)

cake

pinata

Survivor Madagascar (age 10)

cake

pinata

Child #2

Ocean (age 3)

cake

pinata

Tea Party (age 4)

cake

pinata (the best of all of them, I think)

Wet and Wild (age 5)

cake

pinata

Smiles (age 6)

pinata. The cake looked exactly the same, a round yellow cake with black eyes and mouth.

Blizzard Beach (age 7)

cake

pinata

Big Dig (age 8)

cake
It’s a pyramid. Hard to tell from the top.

pinata

Shipwrecked (age 9)

cake

pinata

Age 10 party was not at home.

Amazing Race (age 11)

pinata
The cake that year was a chocolate chip ice cream and oreo cake, not theme decorated.

14 Likes

I love all of your cakes! Kinda made me tear up remembering the cakes my dad made for our birthdays! He decorated the basement with streamers and balloons and made a matching cake. I love it when creativity makes a birthday special for a child.

My favorite is the Under the Sea with the starfish. I can see kids loving that one!

3 Likes

What wonderful memories for your kiddos. Great cakes and pinatas! I love all of them! Thank you for sharing with us :heart:

1 Like

I love thay each has a matching piñata to go with their cake themes! What fun they must have had.

1 Like

So cool! My fave cake is the Frankenstein one and my fave piñata is the cat. That being said, they are all phenomenal! And I bet those were some really happy kids!

2 Likes

What a delight to scroll through the years here! I am glad that I grew up in a time when having a home made theme cake was a big deal and these are a BIG DEAL. I can’t pick a favorite, but I got a special thrill seeing the ones with the Fisher Price Little People on them.

1 Like

Thank you for taking us on your trip down memory lane! I love the treasure chest cake and the whole tea party theme.

I think you would have been a social media star! :star_struck:

1 Like

@TheMistressT Back then you had to get creative with what you had, and what was available locally. No Amazon! (I still have all those FP houses and people stored away.). From age 5 on, Child #2 always helped, so the cakes definitely have her touch.

This was before we’d knew about / had access to fondant. Which would probably not have mattered, as my kids wanted butter cream.

2 Likes

I find these more charming, and definitely WAY more appetizing than a lot of the social media star cakes.

2 Likes

A journey of birthday fun! Your cakes and piñatas are marvelous. I can just feel the mom-love radiating through those pictures.

This post reminded me of doing birthday parties for my (now adult) son. Lots of our party themes were the same as yours (or very similar):
Pirates
Egyptian archeological dig
Dragons/knights/castles
Treasure hunt

Plus, my sister did a tea party for her daughter’s birthday.

What sweet memories! And I assume that you must have sewn small sister’s dress, with that novelty print.

1 Like

This is so sweet and such a neat little trip down Memory Lane for you! Those cakes and pinatas are amazing!!

What a great cakes and piñata’s :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: love that you went with a theme. Great memories growing up :orange_heart:

That’s a whole lot of sweetness!