How to design a quilt block?

Well put! I love quilting because of the tradition and because all of the “hard” work has already been done by our predecessors! :grin:

2 Likes

But the hard work is the fun part! Figuring out the blocks is better than jigsaw puzzles!
And I like math!

1 Like

Yes, it is fun as long as you know the fundamentals. Like @MistressJennie said, you would have more success if you learned the basics of piecing, sashing, etc.

I rarely buy patterns because I can look at a block and know how it is put together…are half triangles used? What angels are needed to form a square etc.

I am sure you can just dive in and still make a decent block. Quilting should be fun and not frustrating.

Yeah, that’s why I’m analyzing the blocks I like. What are the shapes, what order to sew them.

There don’t seem to be any tutorials on youtube, and search engine isnt turning up anything either. So it is either a deeply hidden secret, or so simple that training isnt needed. :grin:

…or you are not searching with the right words… :wink: There are literally thousands of beginner quilting tips, instructions, patterns, etc.

As a matter of fact, some have even been posted here!

2 Likes

Show an example so we know what you’re trying to do?

Basically,I want to figure out how to plan a block to make some of those amazing shapes. Cats, snail trails that are used as cat tails. Blocks that combine with others to create an unexpected design.

I may never actually put them together, I just want to learn how they work.

In the lab, this would be called “pure science”, where you are not trying for a particular result, just learning how things work.

1 Like

Ok then, I agree with others saying to try the techniques that are already figured out. Once I did that, I could see how most other blocks went together without instruction but just learning the first little steps unlocked the door for me to take myself through.
After that, using tangram blocks, real or virtual, is a great way to make up the plans for any shape.

And there are so many videos, so many, for any & everything. You may just be stuck on lingo.

3 Likes

Jordan Fabrics does great tutorials on making quilts start to finish. Remember, a quilt is a LOT more than just the block design. There’s piecing the blocks (sometimes several different blocks) together, laying out rows, sashing, borders, actually quilting the layers, and binding. Donna does a mix of free patterns she designed herself, and commercially available patterns, where she makes it start to finish, but without giving you every measurement. I’d recommend either trying out some classic block patterns or making a smaller, simpler quilt before jumping into designing new blocks. Make all your learning mistakes on something your heart isn’t as tied up in. Like making a muslin, before making a dress. Learning a few basics will get you to the point where you can better analyze and break down things you see.

4 Likes

Here are all of Donna’s fully free patterns. Each one has a corresponding video on YouTube showing the entire process, step by step.

5 Likes

Thanks, Jennie! Nice refresher course as well! Now I feel like making some blocks!

1 Like

Great link, thanks! I watched the drunkards path video, curves seem hard but she made it look easy enough. I think I’ll make my own templates though.

2 Likes

This is a wonderful thread. Lots of good suggestions.
I agree with making some traditional practice blocks with clear instructions on cutting and piecing. I have learned a lot from these. Then use YouTube to find tips, better ways to make HST, QST, flying geese (I still hate these). Then try making your own patterns. It’s fun to make a bunch of HST and then arrange them in different ways. You’ll find that many blocks are just those useful HST!
I also make my own patterns…or copy others. If they are mostly made from the basic building blocks, then they are hardly proprietary. People have been making them for years! But for the unusual ones I may buy a pattern or find a free tutorial.
There are pitfalls to making your own patterns for blocks. Figuring out how to put them together, how do they fit in repeat patterns, and so on.
So start with some basics, learn them well, then kaboom! Branch out.

2 Likes

Ack! Me too! Why do we hate them so much? They are just triangles. Terrible, Horrible, No-good, Very Bad triangles :angry:

5 Likes

And puruse the Quiltalong, now in its third year:
2023: Quiltalong - 2023
2022: Quiltalong - 2022
2021: Quilt-along 2021

In the intros are links to tips and also shared tip links throughout the threads. And, lots of fun BOMs (block of the month).

3 Likes

I can’t figure out why I don’t like them either…I really have had no trouble making 4-8 at a time, but after that…just not a fan…

1 Like

I recently took this one out of the library. I liked how it showed the classic block or design, as traditionally made, then showed a more modern, original take, on that block.

https://www.amazon.com/Quilting-New-Classics-Inspired-Traditional/dp/1936096803

3 Likes

There are quilting shows on PBS, Create TV ( for me Alabama Public Television on Saturday afternoons) with a host and sometimes a guest that take the viewer through traditional designs, fabric selection and step by step instruction. In depth detail that puts my husband right to sleep.

1 Like

Some tips I figured out, in case someone else wants to try:

Make grids; draw out squares in different sizes, like one sheet divided into 2" squares, another into 3" squares.

Roughly sketch your design onto tracing paper, then place over a grid. Simple shapes can fit on larger squares, more detail probably needs smaller squares.

Align and adjust your sketch to match the grid. Simplify the shape into 90° and 45° angles.
Figure out the pieces and label by fabric and number.

Make a cutting list, adding seam allowances.
Cut and label. I pinned tiny tags to each piece with fabric and number designations, like C5, meaning piece #5 in cat fabric.

My first block, designed to fit this months craft this in your style prompt

The tail is wonky, and I discovered a simpler way to do the ears, but its a start!

5 Likes

It’s fun to have a process/project that sparks the mojo back up. I’m glad to see you’ve got the bug to do some creating again after the low-mojo season. Keep on keepin’ on!

1 Like