Improv Art Quilt

I was lucky enough to team up with the wonderful @photojenn in the latest IYP Swap. She asked whether I would be interested in making her an art quilt. Well, I certainly was! I took inspiration from a piece on this blog from her Pinterest.

It was a lot of fun playing around with different fabrics and colours. I didn’t really know how it would turn out until it was finished, and that was half the fun too! It’s about 50cm square (from memory). I put hanging pockets on all four corners, so @photojenn can hang it whichever way up she likes.

I really enjoyed trying out some improv sewing techniques. The curved piecing was a bit tricky, but I love the result and I want to do more!

20 Likes

Incredible. That scrappy binding is the perfect frame for the awesome middle. Really wonderful work.

2 Likes

I like the additional quilting between some of the pieces…the triangle shapes are nice with the circular quilting.

Lovely colors…you and @photojenn have a great eye for interesting color mixes.

3 Likes

Wow, this is wonderful. I love the improv movement this has. A work of art.

2 Likes

I LOVE it so much! I immediately hung it up on my wall where I would see it all the time :smiley:

2 Likes

I love that it has no official “top”! And with the quartered circle could even be hung with on of the points up! Really great!

1 Like

This is absolutely lovely my friend.

1 Like

This is such a fun piece to look at! I love the different quilt stitches that you added to the different sections as well as your choice to use different colored threads (that yellow on the dark teal really pops). The two different background grays work really well together and your pieced curves look great! The fact that this can hang in any direction makes it that much more spectacular!

ETA - If you’re interested in making more art quilts, this quarter’s challenge in the quiltalong is to make an art quilt. We would love to see more of your creativity at work!

3 Likes

Spectacular! I love it so much.
:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the lovely comments :heart:

Thanks for the link - I haven’t looked at the quiltalong thread for a while, that’s a great reminder :smiley_cat:

Wow! Colorful but not overwhelming. Lovely!

1 Like

Love!! Those round edges…eep! Great color and I love the added detail with the stitching. Just fabulous.

1 Like