Invite Your Partner 2021 GALLERY!

OMG. I did debate whether to add the mountains but I was like no that’s not what’s on her pinterest! Also I felt it would mess up the flow of the whole thing.

5 Likes

What a glorious package! Much better without the mountains, I think they look ridiculous too.
Road with Cypress and Star would also be nicer as simply Road with Star, no cypress. That was a weird painting quirk of his.

2 Likes

Amazing package! And I’m team no mountains too. I live about 30 minutes from the starry night house in MT. Dora, Florida. They painted it this way so their autistic son could find his house

10 Likes

Yes, absolutely! And now that you mention it I looked it up, the weird menacing mountain in the other Starry Night is a cypress, too! As seen from his room in the asylum… naaa, I much prefer the beautiful painting with the illuminated river and a couple walking along the riverbank.

(Also that is the one I have seen in the Musée d’Orsay in Paris.) And now of course the piece of swirling night sky on my own wall!

That’s what it does to me too. Both the cypress thing in the front (used to be a weird kind of cliff or mountain until today) and the ones in the background. I’ve just always loved the stars in the sky.

Go parents! And beautiful house, wow!

What a perfectly personal package! I have always been curious about those disc binding systems in the journal section of the craft store, but I don’t know that I’ve seen one in the wild and it look so cool! I can imagine spending lots of time just turning the pages to see each one. The stitched painting is super cool! I love the mashup! I don’t have strong opinions about VVG’s cypress trees, but admit that I am having trouble wrapping my head around hating mountains! It never really occurred to me to feel this way about geological features and now I’m going to have to think about it!

Well, I love mountains…I visited the Swiss Alps as a child and never forgot them looming over the village we stayed in…and the Rockies are also quite commanding…We live on the Eastern part of the USA where the Appalachian and Blue Ridge Mountains dominate…but for that hoop, I think the mountains would have been distracting…and it is much more creative to do it the way you envision it and not just recreate it as the master painter saw it…

2 Likes

To clarify-I meant team no mountains for this piece. I love actual mountains :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was considering Anna’s comment about mountains. I am truly wondering if there is a similar type of thing that I really just do not like at all. Valleys? Rivers? Plateaus? I mean, there really could be a topographical feature out there that just rubs me entirely the wrong way!

1 Like

I love mountains and trees! Just not in those paintings. I guess they are both Cypress, they are oddly dominant in several of his paintings. Not my favourite focal point.

1 Like

What an absolutely gorgeous package!!

1 Like

Yes, he seems to be very insistent on cypresses. Cypri? He mentions them in letters, too, planning what to paint.

I just really really don’t like real mountains. I’m afraid of heights, and I feel very uncomfortbale in/on/around mountains. So I don’t enjoy looking at them in pictures either. Visually I’ve always preferred seascapes to landscapes. I loved skiing in the Hartz mountains as a kid though.

I think it’s just my head telling me all the things that could go wrong… I can ignore that voice on flat, solid ground and in the water though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I read that the cypress tree, especially in Europe, was a symbol of death and used extensively in cemetery plantings…art critics seem to focus on the fact that he was obsessed with death and used the trees in many of his paintings for that reason. I think they are ugly…

2 Likes

I learned today that Starry Night is the view from his room in the asylum he was in to recover from mental problems and his cut off ear, and his obsession with yellow may very well derive from taking too much digitalis and drinking too much absinthe… so I’m very happy with my much healthier embroidered piece of the night sky!

2 Likes

Yes, he did have mental health issues, which you can see through his art…a lot of artists painted what they saw and felt…many had substance abuse issues as well, whether to deal with physical or mental pain or some sort of escape…I think they were pretty much regular people who had to have an outlet…

Beautiful package. It is great that the hoop was so personalized.

Van Gogh’s work has always touched me, especially the non peopled pieces. For years I couldn’t figure out why those pieces, out of at the beautiful art, seemed like an old friend. As it turns out, the bright tracers of light that accompany my migraines tend to spiral and roll in patterns similar to his brush strokes. Just an odd nugget to share.

5 Likes

People with schizophrenia also “see” like that and in blurred “impressionist” images…the brain is incredible and will work to find a place to feel comfortable…I think his art speaks to a lot of people for a lot of reasons…for me, it was because I tend to see things in a more blurry way…

2 Likes

I love how personal this package is and how beautiful the hoop is. In regards to the Starry Night mountain/no mountain, I had never even thought about that until this conversation. As for real mountains, I am team mountain all the way. I grew up surrounded by them and they are like a warm embracing hug. I don’t really like the middle of the country where you can just see for miles and miles and miles.

1 Like

I lived in Kansas for a few years and loved the prairies! I used to horseback ride for hours and never get anywhere, it seemed…everything looked and was so far away…it is like being on a movie set where you are moving on a treadmill…at night, the earth was one with the sky with nothing in the way…

3 Likes

This gallery is just spectacular, you are all amazing!

I got my own fabulous thing today from @PrincessP!! I had a special request for a cushion cover in bright colours. Our grey couch has several red/black/white/grey cushions, but I felt like it was time to add more colour. Look what she came up with!

It’s just perfect, and so beautifully sewn too! And it goes really well with the other cushions (@anna.wahnsinn and @endymion might recognise something :smile:)

Thank you so much, it’s wonderful!!

12 Likes

Such snuggly pillows! Love the bright colors and her stitching is so crisp and clean!

1 Like