Invite Your Partner 2023 swap, Sign up Jan 14 – Feb 4, SEND OUT EXTENDED TO MAR 25

favourite crafted item i made would have to be the mirror i made in gr. 9 woodworking. other than that, probably the last pair of mittens my gran knit me…horrible acrylic yarn, but they’re green and she made them. for me. i almost cried when i thought i had lost one of them a few years ago, but it turned up and i’m back to wearing them.

doing alright with my items for @MightyMitochondria …sitting here now just sewing some pieces together that have been finished for a few weeks, but waiting on me to get it together enough to attach them.

hope to get it in the mail by wednesday!!

2 Likes

My favorite handmade item is the cross stitch of the poem Warning my mom made for me decades ago. Even then, it was the perfect poem for me.

2 Likes

I have so many handcrafted items! Love buying vintage handcrafted ornaments at garage sales. (Makes me sad to see them being sold for a few pennies when I know how much effort and love went into them!)

But those are packed away right now, so I guess I’ll just share again the quilt I inherited from my great grandmother.

I am in bad shape, time-wise. I ordered some supplies, which delayed me a bit. And now I have an injury interfering with my progress. Hoping I will mail out on time, but there is a bit of doubt…

1 Like

Ooo good question. One of my favorites are probably the end tables my husband and I made during a class at a local woodworking school a few years ago. We did everything from going to the lumber yard to pick out the wood to making and finishing everything. It was really fun to do together and we still use them in our living room today.

Here’s a pic from when we just finished them (my table is on the right, his is on the left)

I’ve got the most important part of my package done but have also been dealing with an injured shoulder the last few weeks which has zapped all of my creative mojo. I’ve got a supply I’m excited about hopefully coming tomorrow and my shoulder is doing much better so I’m looking forward to crafting and am hoping to send on time.

7 Likes

I love seeing and hearing about all the wonderful crafty memories!

That faux deer is downright majestic @Abbeeroad! That’s fantastic to still be using things that are mumble years old @megwell and @mel (so glad you found the lost mitten).

The vintage embroidered bird is awesome @Reinikka, and that poem is perfect @MightyMitochondria, what a fabulous gift!

Amazing quilt @endymion, that is an absolute treasure! And @photojenn, those end tables are wonderful, how great to be using them daily!

My item is also an embroidery, it’s a cross stitch my grandmother made, probably in the late 70’s early 80’s. It’s not the biggest or most elaborate thing she made, she was a keen stitcher and patchworker. But it’s travelled with me through many years and moves, and it always reminds me of her :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Organiser note

I see in the thread that a couple of people have had injuries, and I hope you’re doing OK and not putting too much pressure on yourselves. Would it be helpful to extend the sendout date for a few more days?

5 Likes

Everyone in my family does some sort of crafting. I have a lot of things from my grandparents.

My favorite is probably this butterfly my grandpa made. It’s about 3 feet.
This part of my house has terrible lighting

And the matching baby. Less than 12 inches tall

12 Likes

Oh my gosh…gobsmacked!!! Those are AMAZING!

2 Likes

I’ve been making slow but steady progress.

While I can be done my the 18th it would be nice to extend to the 20th so we ‘d have another full weekend to finish up.

2 Likes

I’m still hoping to finish everything on time but would feel less stressed with an extra week.

1 Like

Those butterflies are gorgeous! I wish I could see them in person.

I’d greatly appreciate a deadline extension.

1 Like

Wow @geekgirl, those butterflies are incredible!!

I’m happy to push the send out date back a week - I want everyone to be enjoying their crafting, and I know it’s been challenging with injuries and various things.

Organiser note - NEW SEND OUT DATE IS MARCH 25 :smiley_cat:

9 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you!!

I would say my favorite crafted item is the quilt my Nana made. I have a bunch of them and they remind me of her.

4 Likes

I have two items, but I will need confirmation from my mom as to if my grandma or great-grandma made them.

I have a half-knitted pink mitten came with a collection of knitting needles, box, and yarn that was given to me by my grandpa when he noticed that I had learned how to knit competently. I put it in a shadow box.

I also have an embroidered pillowcase that had been torn at some point, but I love the stitching so I use it as a little hanging on a shelf in our bedroom.

6 Likes

My favorite crafted item is probably the end table I made in 8th grade shop class. We had to rotate through electives and that was one we had to take. Its still holding up after more than 30 years! It’s super basic, but still functional.

8 Likes

An end table – that’s hardcore! Our big project in 8th grade shop was a table lamp.

4 Likes

We did a shelf. Home Ec was a quillow! Both of mine are lost to the ages…love that you and @Kwality570 still have these projects!

3 Likes

I made these for my hubby one year for Christmas. He’s a huge Harry Potter fan. He absolutely loves them! I had never done anything like that before, it was fun creating them. Other then that i can’t think of anything else I’ve kept. Everything I’ve done has always gone to others as gifts. Here are some pictures he had taken of them.
20230314_060527
20230314_060423
20230314_060345
20230314_060241
20230314_060132

6 Likes

My supply package that was supposed to come on Monday is now lost in USPS somewhere with no ETA so I’m happy to have the extra week! I’ll have a look through my stash and see if I have anything that will work since I was hoping to work on the project today.

5 Likes