Is anyone growing veggies?

How wonderful!

I have heard about eating the stalks but I’ve never done that! Maybe I’ll try this year.

I’ve worked in the garden all afternoon. I cut down the cover crops, pulled out weeds and added a layer of compost and a little bit of organic fertilizer. I’ve already sowed corn salad (according to wikipedia, that’s the common name in English, we call it veldsla, field lettuce) and I’m sprouting snow peas (Heraut), peas (Feltham First) and sugarsnaps (Jessy) indoors and will them sow them outside. Last year none of my peas did well, hopefully this year will be better.

I’m also going to start a bunch of herbs this week. I’ve kept a pallet that I want to lean upright against a wall and use that for small pots of herbs. I don’t have the space for a large herb garden so I want to build a vertical one.

Look at the chives coming back to life! A few days ago there was nothing there. All my garlic seems to have survived the winter.

7 Likes

@Annchen those peas look delicious.

@Immaculata I am so jealous. My garden is under snow and frozen rock hard. A vertical herb garden sounds perfect. And chives always seem to pop up as soon as they can. I moved mine last fall since we were building a porch over them. Hope they survive.

1 Like

We went to the hardwood store today to buy wood to build garden boxes. It is Spring Break and Mr. Lynx took the week “off,” so the plan is to build them! I have a bunch of seeds! We are ready to experiment and see how we do. If the seeds aren’t successful, I can buy starters from the garden center when it’s time.

I need to invest in a seed light to be able to start some indoors. We have inefficient indoor lightning.

2 Likes

Toured my garden yesterday. The ground is still frozen solid and very little is poking up. It is only early March here in New England, but sunshine always make my little seed planting heart perk up.

3 Likes

Sounds great! I thought growing from seeds instead of buying plants was going to be very difficult, but it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Most survived!

@marionberries it already feels like spring here. I’m kind of jealous of people that have real winters but for gardening, our climate is perfect.

Haven’t been outdoors today as I have food poisoning! But hopefully I’ll feel better tomorrow. I love this time of year when new plants seem to come up every time you turn your back.

Oh no! I hope that passes soon for you!

We built our boxes today but I didn’t snap a picture just yet.

Edit: Here’s a picture. We will fill with dirt and landscape a little bit later.

Now we can try to grow all the things!

6 Likes

@Lynx that’s awesome. We’ve used framed beds before to grow things and with the right dirt and compost is awesome. But overall, I don’t like it, too constraining I guess. We converted our small back yard to veggie garden 13 years ago by covering the beds with cardboard and then dumping a load of autumn leaves on the grass. The first year was a bit tough as the leaves took most of the summer to compost, but wow, those beds are great now. Over the years we’ve added more leaves, llama beans, straw, our compost, and composted horse manure. It’s time for another load of manure, but my back is protesting.

3 Likes

What are llama beans?

:rofl: Llama droppings. They can be applied immediately and don’t need aging/composting. They are little “beans” and don’t smell like manure. Very good for the garden.

4 Likes

:laughing: Of course!

20210310_143837_resize_7

Next step, fill, plant, watch 'em grow!

6 Likes

Looks great! That’s going to be enough to feed your whole family the entire summer!

1 Like

That does look great. You will have such fun watching the plant babies grow!
You may want to add some depth if you’re planning anything that needs deeper roots. Lots of plants are fine at a shallow depth though, just gotta plan accordingly.

3 Likes

Thanks! @magpie, we have a plan for if we find what we grow will need more depth, but right now, I think they are ok at their current height.

I want to try to start tomatoes from seed inside, but our lighting isn’t good, so I’d need a grow light.

I like this set up, but if we are not going to start much inside I’m not sure I’d need something so fancy. I was wondering if maybe just a simple light system like this would be okay. The second option is much smaller and less expensive, which is a plus. The top option is slightly larger than the space I’d like to put it, but I have a way to make it work.

I know I can buy tomatoes from the garden center, but I want to play with seeds first.

1 Like

We have a light set up with similar LEDs to your second link for greening sprouts and growing micro greens in winter, be aware the light is very obnoxious so a way to block it is a very nice option! I have a wire shelf set up with a curtain that hangs over front and sides leaving the back open for air flow.
Also, I have tried both seeds and seedlings in the same season to compare and see which worked best for us. At first we tried one each summer but had such different weather that there were too many variables to do a proper comparison. I found I prefered seedlings but that may be because I don’t have a good set up to grow seeds very large before planting outdoors

2 Likes

Ok, thank you. I think we’ll give my second suggestion style a go.

1 Like

It’s only March but everything is growing so fast now!

Started 3 pots of basil on the windowsill.

These are edible flowers that I just sowed this weekend.

All sorts of peas

Chives are massive now!

These thingies will be spinach when they grow up.

I did not use any kind of filter, I’m pretty bad at taking pictures. All leaves are just as bright green irl as they are in the pictures! I love that about spring. Suddenly everything is bright green.

6 Likes

Oh my goodness, Spring has sprung!

1 Like

Some pictures from this morning!

This grape is growing fast, it started to come back to life a week ago

This one gets a little less sunshine so it’s always about a week later than the other one

7 Likes