Kinetic Non-Swap (Craftalong)

You’re so right! I love this thread! Thank you for thinking of me!

I’m very much missing the local Maker Fair(e)s; they are always an awesome place to learn about what others have been working on. I’m so excited to see the same sort of atmosphere in this thread! I can’t wait to read more about what everyone is making here. :heart:

Thanks for sharing, everybody.

5 Likes

My first project will just be a simple lever movement addition to an embroidery project. Just moving something up and down. But I have a much more complicated project in mind that includes a music box wind-up, embroidery & hoop, jewelry, and a few other bits. :wink: Hoping to start that one in March. Got another simple lever motion embroidery project brewing in my head, too.

Oh, this is super cool! Check out this Mood-O-Meter video!

3 Likes

Yay!! I’m so happy you found us! I can’t wait to see what you make! Woot!

2 Likes

Yes, so glad you’re here!

2 Likes

Anybody know the name of a mechanism that moves when a weight/pendulum at the bottom is set to swinging?

ETA
Um, never mind. It’s a pendulum. Dur.

1 Like

Me, too!

And, I turned over the box from my Gizmos kit and look!

7 Likes

Those are adorable! The shrimp boat is my favorite. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I want to make Schrodinger’s cat first, I think!

I can’t believe I never opened this before. And, it comes with pages in the back that can be copied (although I don’t know how they would get lined up, since they’re double sided). But, at least I don’t have to make copies of the original pieces.

1 Like

Oh, those look very cool! They all look fun… I might make the robot or the moose first, if it were my book.

My plans got derailed by a dental emergency… going to try to get started tomorrow unless I’m still in too much pain to concentrate. Root canal scheduled for Feb 4. Ugh!

1 Like

You all inspired me to dip my toe into kinetic craft land. This is so far out of my comfort zone!

My son’s preschool teacher needs to borrow a gumball machine for a letter G lesson, but she can’t find one. I used a tutorial for a very basic cardboard gumball machine. I am nearly done. However, the tiny human got involved once I started testing it with wooden beads. I will have to finish once he is in bed. It is REALLY rough, but I think the kids will like it. I made it so they can open it up and see the mechanism inside. I will post pictures when I am done.

6 Likes

This is so exciting!

How cool!

Here it is! It has glitter! It has craft foam! It has giant buttons! It has every tacky thing a preschooler could want! I present to you my very DIY gumball machine complete with the letter G!

The knob in the front turns the toilet paper tube inside. The balls in the hopper fall into the hole in the TP tube. Then they go down a slide to the outside hole. I’m going to give his preschool teacher the beads so they can play with it as much as they want.

It is really rough. Mostly because I don’t like measuring or following directions. I looked at an online tutorial for guidance but didn’t really follow it. @endymion thank you for pulling me out of my comfort zone. :heart::heart::heart:

14 Likes

I love it! Such a clever design, too. I’m sure that the kids will have fun playing with it.

1 Like

So cool!

1 Like

Oh, wow! Totally cool! The kids will be so excited. I would never dream to make a gum ball machine… I’ll bet the kids will be inspired to make things themselves, once they see how it works. Thanks for posting!

1 Like

I think it is PERFECT that you made it so the kids can see the insides! I ALWAYS wanted to see how machines worked! This is fantastic.

3 Likes

So cool. It looks like so much fun to explore the guts & see how things work. I have a feeling that project is going to inspire a lot of tinkering, always a good thing in curious youngsters :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, THIS IS AMAZEBALLS FUN! They are gonna have such a ball with this!! And I agree on the transparency.

Yes, MM. SO.MUCH.YES.

I love sewing, but have a really hard time following someone else’s steps. And somehow measuring is really important?? Rood…

1 Like