Last Unicorn Hat - Mulligan!

I said I wasn’t going to knit any holiday gifts this year, but here I am, knitting last minute hats for my nieces and nephew. :laughing:

Ravelry project page here.

This is the Last Unicorn Hat by Bad Wolf Girl Studios, and it comes bundled with the sweater pattern. I used a different yarn weight than called for (worsted inserted of DK) and this ended up too big for my 8 year old niece. It’s fits my head. I also misread the instructions for when to start the color work, so I had to decrease much more rapidly. It’s not my best work, but I guess that’s what happens when you knit during a Zoom call. No worries, I’ll donate it to the organization that my knitting guild is collecting hats for (it’s not my style) and knit up another in the smaller size.
I used Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-pilling, which I guess is what they replaced Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice with.

EDITED TO ADD:

Mulligan Last Unicorn Hat is complete! And it is FABULOUS.

A size comparison. They don’t look very different, but the mulligan hat (pompom) is def child sized, while the other fits my “average” sized female head.

20 Likes

What a great hat!

Oh man. I’m sorry it doesn’t fit your niece but it’s SO cooool!!! I’m sure she’ll love the remake.

1 Like

love the color! How awesome you can knit on a zoom, knitting is my nemesis it takes every ounce of concentration I have to do it

1 Like

I should have known better since I used worsted instead of DK. Oh well! The mulligan hat turned out great, I just have to weave in ends and see on a floofy pom-pom. Pics to come!

That is so stinking cute!

1 Like

I would have never known this wasn’t how it was supposed to look. It’s a fantasticly fun hat! I’m glad you are giving it to a place that will enjoy it.

1 Like

And now I’m second guessing myself. Again?
I was looking at the Yarn Craft Council average measurements chart, and I think maybe the larger hat night be the way to go. May be loose this year, but could fit a lot better next year. I think her head is a big on the larger end of the size range anyway… And then the smaller size can go to niece #2.
I thought about this way too much yesterday after seeing the finished size measurements of the dinosaur hat I was about to start… 🤦

1 Like

It is very cute!! I love working in DK but I have to make adjustments as well…

1 Like

Oh yeah, I just used what yarn I could find all the colors in quickly. JoAnn doesn’t have a great DK selection, and the worsted that I used was on sale at the time so… Yeah.

1 Like

I love The Last Unicorn, and great job in the colorwork! That is one of my goals this year!

1 Like

Colorwork was one of my goals this year, too! I have so many pretty sweater patterns, but I wanted to practice on some small things first.

1 Like

So.many.patterns!!!

I have 3 knitting goals (brioche, Latvian braid, and colorwork). And I want to make one of the fun, wacky sweaters. Probably an animal of some kind. I love how unexpected they are, and generally subtle, so it’s not immediately seen.

Proud of you for jumping into that colorwork! And you made it within the year!

1 Like

Brioche is fun! Pain the butt to set up with a icord tab, like on the What The Fade shawl. I have a couple brioche hat patterns by Katrin Schubert (Ravelry link) that look fabulous, I just need to actually cast one on.

I’ve done the Purl Soho stitched block cowl, which apparently is 'brioche light’s, so I’m hoping it’s similar enough. Yes!! Because I’ve heard the setup is the beast!
I’ll have to check out Katrin 's patterns.

It’s not brioche, but that dog tooth hat is smokin hot!

1 Like