LC Midwest Meetup 2023 - Champaign, IL

Since I had a question about the ‘Gift Exchange’ listed on the first post, I thought I’d expand on that. This was something we did at the Asheville Meetup that everyone really enjoyed. Anyone who wishes to participate brings a Medium-ish handmade item, gift wrapped, that anyone else attending, would enjoy receiving. We pull names out of a hat, and whoever is called gets to pick a gift out of the pile. We open and show them off to each other. Similar to a White Elephant or Yankee Swap, but without the mean stealing aspect.

4 Likes

This was really fun! I plan to bring something as an offering and participate!

2 Likes

I have updated the second post, with a list of folks I know are attending, vs folks who are interested. If anyone else is a definite, let me know and I’ll move your name over. This will help me with planning for meals, and the two group crafts I have planned.

4 Likes

I am as definite as I can be! There’s always a small chance work will interfere, but that would likely just mean missing the Friday activities, not the whole thing.

2 Likes

If I took a flight it would be about $600 round trip from Denver to Willard. Ugh, I hate how flights fluctuate prices. Last week it was $525, but I got mad looking at hotels and shut my comp. Going to look again today then discuss with husband.

ETA: The Holiday Inn Champaign seems to be the cheapest, if that’s what you’re looking for but without breakfast. There is a McDs across the parking lot, though.

1 Like

Have you tried that trick where you clear the cookies on your computer to see if it changes the prices? There’s something I read somewhere, who knows if it’s true, that the cookies allow the ticketing website to know that you’re probably really interested in so the prices are no longer low. Might be worth a try.

2 Likes

That’s sneaky of them :rage:

1 Like

Yep. :money_with_wings:

1 Like

My mom is trying to come for Ada’s first birthday, and coming into Willard is somehow over $975 for her. We looked into coming into Bloomington-Normal and it was nearly the same price. Maybe I should try looking with Ant Bee’s trick…

1 Like

American Airlines was the least expensive. It has a one hour stop in Texas.

1 Like

Seems I could fly from London for approx £600 :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Wow! That’s across the Atlantic for less than my mom coming from New Hampshire.

1 Like

I know, Crrazzy!!

1 Like

There are also certain days of the week where airfare is cheaper than other days. I want to say Tuesday/Wednesday are typically where you find the best pricing on average but don’t hold me to it.

2 Likes

Yes, the difference between me leaving Sunday or leaving Monday is about $30, but it would save me $80 by not staying at a hotel another night. Something like that. Similar situation if I left on a Wednesday vs a Thursday flight. I was looking at Thurs to Sun.

1 Like

After talking to you guys, I decided to check the price on my mom leaving from Boston, and coming straight to Champaign. It was just $510, and she only has the 1 stop in Chicago, so we just booked it right away before the price could change. My SIL will drop her off at Logan Airport and since she has mobility issues, she needs a wheelchair in the terminal, so some nice airport employee will wheel her straight to her gate, and she won’t have to worry about getting lost in a larger airport. (Manchester, NH’s airport is very nice, but small and very easy to get around, so it is nice to fly out of.)

5 Likes

I like smaller airports. People mosey. DIA (Denver International Airport) is busy, busy, busy. I don’t even see what’s around me because I’m always looking up at the signs to guide me where to go.

2 Likes

That’s about what my flight would be but into Chicago. From where I am in Canada, to fly into Willard, it’s over $1,000.

What’s getting me right now is the cost of renting a vehicle, almost as much as the flight.

1 Like

Can anyone carpool to help save on the cost of car rental and gas? Who all is coming into Chicago, and needing to get down to Champaign from there?

Also, some folks might be looking for a hotel roommate to save on money. Anyone looking to partner up?

I just added spots at the bottom of the second post in this thread, to note anyone looking to carpool or share a hotel room. When anyone mentions that they’re looking, I’ll update that post.

4 Likes

That’s a good price, the cheapest I’m finding from Ireland is about 800e

But I’m definitely coming :grin::grin: and so excited…

4 Likes