Lea the ferret memorial hoop

Earlier this month we said goodbye to our girl Lea, one of a pair of ferrets we’ve had for about 6 years. She was a sweet angel baby, and her favorite pose was Flat. As flat as possible. She would stop mid-run to splay her legs back and put her chin right on the ground, stare into space for a bit, then get right up and be on her way.

Here’s my reference picture:

This was my first time trying a thread painting-style embroidery - I watched one youtube tutorial of someone stitching an egg and just decided to go for it. To my eyes it’s not perfect, but I think it’s decent!

I tracked my progress in the Thing-A-Day February 2021 Craftalong, so here are a few days work!

The hoop is just the right size to hang next to our kitty paw prints on our pet memorial shelf. This project was sometimes difficult to make time for, but it was nice to spend so much time with her little face. :blue_heart:

38 Likes

So sweet!
Lovely texture.

3 Likes

What a beautiful memorial to your sweet, flat girl.

3 Likes

Looks like pro-level thread painting to me! And what a perfect subject. :blue_heart:

4 Likes

What beautiful tribute to your girl. :heart:

3 Likes

It turned out great! Its very realistic :heart:

3 Likes

Thanks so much y’all!

2 Likes

You may see flaws but I think it looks amazing.
I’m in awe of painters, and draw-ers and people who can make things that actually look like things that exist.

Sorry for your loss.

5 Likes

Beautiful. It’s heartwarming that she was so loved.

4 Likes

What a beautiful tribute. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

It’s beautiful! Sorry for your loss. You did a great job.

3 Likes

It’s a beautiful memorial. :heart:

3 Likes

The hoop is absolutely beautiful. I can’t believe this is your first time doing this technique. It’s fantastic. I am sorry for your loss, but I hope this sweet tribute makes your heart a little less heavy.

5 Likes

What a lovely way to remember her!! And your stitching is perfect, as far as I’m concerned.

3 Likes

Wonderful stitching; I wouldn’t have though it was your first time embroidering this way. It’s a touching and lovely tribute to your sweet girl.

2 Likes

This is so wonderful. I am so sorry for your loss. She was beautiful.

2 Likes

Such a cute story, she sounds like a lot of fun. And I think the stitching is wonderful, great job

2 Likes

My bearded dragons do the same thing getting flat (they just don’t usually get up and run after…when they do it they are usually relaxing); we say they are “pancake-ing”!

Was this one of the ferrets I saw so long ago?

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much you loved them.

Beautiful way to make a memorial of your beloved flat girl! <3
I think you have done a great job with the thread painting!

2 Likes

Wow, I think your stitching is fabulous! The likeness is excellent. Great memorial!

2 Likes