Lemon & Herb White Bean Spread

This is one of those really simple recipes, that’s highly customizable, and is somehow better than the sum of it’s parts. You can use it to dip veggies and bread, like a hummus, or use it on sandwiches for extra zing. You can thin it out further and turn it into a great salad dressing. The majority of the ingredients are cupboard staples, and it’s a fantastic way to either use up fresh herbs in the fridge, or to use stuff you’ve grown yourself. It’s also a great non-dairy dip to bring to parties. I’m lactose intolerant, and so many party foods are laden with sour cream and cheese, so I like bringing something I know I’m safe to eat. I’ve gotten so many compliments on it, and no one seems to realize it’s also vegan.

Once you have a batch in your fridge, you’ll find new ways to put it on everything, like I have been this week. The sandwich above is simply a crusty sourdough, topped with the Lemon & Herb Spread, some smoked salmon, and homemade pickled red onions.

:lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb:

:lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb: :lemon: :herb:

Lemon & Herb White Bean Spread
Zest & Juice of 1 large lemon
1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 cloves roasted garlic or a dash of roasted garlic powder
Dash of paprika
Dash smoked paprika
Olive oil (usually around 1/4 cup)
salt & pepper, to taste
Handful of fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, basil, dill, etc.

Drain & rinse your beans, and place them in the bowl of a food processor. Zest & juice your lemon, and add them along with a pinch of salt, several grinds of good black pepper, and whatever seasonings you’d like, in this case roasted garlic powder and paprika.

Next drizzle in a bit of olive oil, and begin to process. It will become chunky, then start to smooth out, but you may need to add more olive oil to get it good and smooth.

Finally, once it’s just about the perfect texture, add in your handful of fresh herbs, and give it several good pulses to break them down. Put your spread in a bowl, and sprinkle on an extra dusting of paprika and fresh parsley.

14 Likes

This looks delish! We’re currently feeding 3 dairy sensitivity kiddos, I’ll be making this.
I have the best pork taco of my life in Stratford with @sloth003 this summer, I swear it was the picked red onion. If you ever care to share that recipe I’d make it too!

1 Like

That was so basic, it’s not really a recipe. :laughing: I had made a similar thing several times with Blue Apron recipes. Meanwhile I’ve been watching videos from ProHomeCooks on YouTube while feeding Ada lately, and one one of his meal prep videos, he (or rather a friend) made a batch, and I just copied that one. I’ve been enjoying these videos because they aren’t about making 5 copies of the same meal for lunches all week, but rather are about making a few key foods, that can be transformed into multiple different meals all week. And yes, I’ve been putting the onions on everything I can all week. On sandwiches, tacos, a salad, etc.

The portion of the video with the onions is about minute 10:45.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am having a Halloween party (well, afternoon get together with food, pumpkin carving and board games) in a couple weeks and my sister can’t have dairy and my nephew and his wife are vegan! I was going to get a veggie tray and offer ranch and hummus, but it would be so nice to offer something different and homemade. :heart:

1 Like

This looks and sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing the pickled onions source, too. I will be trying!

1 Like

How big are your cans of white beans? I’ve done something similar, but Never with fresh herbs like this. Sounds great!

So fresh and colorful. Will definitely try it!

15.5 Oz.

Beautiful dishes! Sounds yummy.

1 Like

I love the concept of multiple use foods! Making easy things also helps with healthier eating for me…not too many ingredients and yet tasty!

Your presentations are also beautiful…

1 Like

Making this again this week! Just pressure cooked a big whack of little butter/lima beans, they’re good & creamy-soft. I’ll pick up fresh herbs tomorrow & roast some garlic. I’m looking forward to it for work lunches with veggies, nom nom!

3 Likes