Little Good Things of 2021-- gallery!

The asked us at the border when we were returning if we had Kindereggs…there is a hefty fine:

The official fine for each Kinder Egg you attempt to bring into America is $2,500, and 60,000 Kinder Eggs are confiscated each year by those trying to smuggle them across the border from Canada and abroad.

3 Likes

60.000 Kinder Eggs confiscated?! How do they even do that, do they train special chocolate dogs to search all those cars? I promise I won’t send Kinder Eggs in any future candy swap!

2 Likes

Sounds goofy when you read it, doesn’t it? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s 1200 kg of Kinder Eggs! Customs in my country confiscate 400 kg of ecstacy pills every year…

lol Just say “no” to kindereggs…sheesh…our priorities are a bit messed up…

1 Like

I actually don’t really care for the toys in the US version of kinder eggs. I can take or leave them. It’s the gooey white/milk chocolate with the crispy ball things that get me. Sooooo good.

2 Likes

What is this “crispy ball” you speak of? That’s not a part of the Canadian version!

1 Like

@megwell sent me a biscuits & gravy recipe as an extra, so of course we had to try it for breakfast!

I have no idea what it’s supposed to look or taste like, but it was nice! The batter for the biscuits was very sticky and I wasn’t sure if it was going to work out but it did. The recipe is similar to scones but with much less butter - I used butter because we don’t have shortening in my country. We can get Crisco in the international foods store and lard is available too, but I didn’t have either of those two on hand. I used wholemeal flour accidentally, that’s why it’s a bit speckled.

Last night I had groceries delivered and because they had to swap a few of my items, they gave me a box of Tony’s chocolate as a gift, the same Dutch chocolate @Magpie sent out :

It came with a small notice in the box that said that different flavours may have different wrappers because they are changing to new, more environmentally friendly packaging but they didn’t want to waste the batches they already made. Aside from the great taste, this is also why I love Tony’s chocolate. They’re trying to do the right thing as a company.

5 Likes

They are cocoa crisp wafers according to this description (and pic). I actually love Kinder chocolate, lol. My friend at work always brings a bag of bueno minis back with her when she visits her family in Czech. I have to restrain myself to not eat them all! But then, I’ve never tried Tony’s. :wink:

@Immaculata - wow, looks like you nailed biscuits and gravy to me! It’s a very Southern American dish. I’ve never made it!

1 Like

Looks good, @Immaculata!

wow, I had no idea!

@Immaculata what a funny coincidence about the chocolate!
@mel would you send me that recipe? I don’t think I’ve ever tried sausage gravy or “American” biscuits. The kids are practicing cooking, they might like to add this recipe in to their repertoire.
@Abbeeroad I’ve heard of people who like kinder chocolate, I’ve just never met one before. You, my friend, are a magical, mythical creature! :smile:
Enjoy your chocolate :chocolate_bar: . Looks like they tried hard to accommodate that weird restriction with a fun new product.

3 Likes

very cool about using up the old packaging first!
and now I must seek out some Tony’s chocolate this week!

1 Like

i only promise to send them to people willing to take the chance in my kinder egg smuggling ring…so ridiculous…lolz

2 Likes

you are looking for @megwell’s sausage gravy and biscuits…i only have a good biscuit recipe…but some people feel pretty strongly about what a good biscuit is…ha. a very polarizing issue in some circles i hear…

1 Like

Omg its too early in the morning for my brains. I thought it was weird that recipe came from another Canuck but you know so many of us have a US connection.

Whats your biscuit recipe? I use one from the Joy of Cooking, its dead simple.

2 Likes

some random work one we likely found on the internet…thing is to use a light hand once you add your liquid in and dont mess around too much afterwards…

*ETA - and just to be completely divisive, i prefer to use lard in them…

2 Likes

Yep–biscuits can be fighting words down here in the South…lol…as is what is the best mayo and what to put into deviled eggs…lol…I make angel biscuits which means a biscuit bowl full of flour and a light hand…many people prefer heartier biscuits (rocks, I call them…)…lol…but what a fun way to argue because everyone gets to eat the points of arguments and it all seems good!

2 Likes

yep…i tread carefully…canadians aren’t generally opinionated on biscuit making, but i know all y’all are…haha…

i remember a few years ago i was visiting my grandmother and she wanted me to make some biscuits to go with dinner…she was almost appalled when i asked for a recipe: because everyone should know this thing, of course, was her attitude. lolz.

1 Like

I read an article about a type of biscuit flour, Lily brand or something that’s only available in the south.

1 Like