Mask-Along

I made this outdoorsy mask for a swap. I used Magpie’s pattern.

4 Likes

Ooo…fun! How did you do the 2-tone fabric? I did it once with magpies pattern but completely forgot what I did!

Cut a different fabric for each pattern piece. They fold at the side rather than having a seam there.

Love the woodland fabric, those look great together!

1 Like

I think I used the darted front pattern. I remember having to do some mental gymnastics to make it work, but that’s because I have zero visual-spatial brain capacity, lol. I got there in the end but was thinking there might be an easier way. I guess just using the other pattern would have done the trick. :laughing:

I am also super curious about the pattern for the seamless pleated masks you showed! Those both look lovely! :two_hearts:

With Magpie’s pattern one fabric piece is folded to become the inner and outer layer on one side. I didn’t have enough of either fabric to make a mask, so I used wood grain for the right and forest for the left.

Edit: Thanks @Magpie! I replied before I saw your response. Yep, that’s what I did!

@AIMR, I missed this message. I always love more fabric, but I am doing fine, though my choices are a bit boring for adults. I am winding down, only about 4 dz per month instead of 8 or more. Crazy. Right now I am concentrating on kids’ masks. Schools are opening, but masks are still required. Still makes me feel like I am doing something.

My person who distributes them reported seeing a child at the grocery with one of my masks that she did not know. It made her happy too.

2 Likes

Right. I’ve exclusively used Magpie’s pattern(s) since probably the first 1-2 masks I’ve made. But, I favor the darted front, which uses one piece for the lining and one piece for the outside. Little harder to get the two-toned fabric look with that pattern! I actually think I ended up sewing an extra piece to the one side, so one side had 3 layers. But I still don’t remember exactly. :thinking:

1 Like

Abbee the other pattern is so much easier. Any time you want to video chat w me we can do a sew along & I’ll show you step by step.
One of these days I will make a video, its on the list!

1 Like

Oh, I have used the other pattern as well, don’t worry. :slight_smile: I just like the separate lining fabric. It’s totally a preference thing. I’m not making enough (especially anymore) that I need to be super fast. It’s all aesthetic.

1 Like

Gotcha. The lining is good for saving pretty fabric, I use it for fussy cuts & special prints

1 Like

Yesssss!

So, I use an acrylic template to cut my masks. I got it from here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/817563977/katis-one-piece-facemask-pattern-clear

But basically, it’s functionally the same as this one: https://sewingseedsoflovestudio.com/products/ssol-seamless-mask (I assemble mine just slightly different than she does in her tutorial but it’s the same idea.)

You fold it in half and sew down the top and bottom cuts and then layer the inner and outer fabric and sew them wrong sides together. Turn right side out, top stitch and add your elastic. There’s no pleats, just the two darts (one at the top for the bridge of your nose and one at the bottom for your chin) and it makes a nice, seamless front.

You can optionally add wire if you want but honestly, I find I don’t need it. The darting helps the fit enough for me.

I can try to put together a better step-by-step if you need. I’ve made a ton in this style now and it’s been really popular with my customers too. I wear the medium size personally.

1 Like

Thank you so much! That’s lovely. I like the fact that it cups the nose and chin well, and that you can use it to highlight a pretty single-panel design on fabric right in the front. I’m wanting to do a couple masks at some point with some nice embroidery across the front of them, and most other patterns I’ve tried don’t lend themselves to that too well. Thanks for sharing! :heart:

1 Like

Good morning (UK), everyone. I am hoping to start making some masks for family now… just couldn’t find the time before what with WFH and homeschooling in 2 lockdowns… :roll_eyes:

I’m also going to fall down the pit that’s spoonflower … fandom masks galore! :wink: I was wondering if I could get by with using their sample pieces? They’re 20x20cm / 7.8in x 7.8in . As in 1 piece per side - would that be enough? So I could make a reversible one?

Thanks for any help.

@Roler - which pattern did you use?
@Abbeeroad / @Magpie - what’s the pattern you two were talking about?

ETA: @Abbeeroad & @Magpie - ignore - I found the pattern. :wink: Somehow my PC didn’t let me scroll all the way up top just there… :thinking:

1 Like

Haha…glad you found it! @Magpie’s pattern is my favorite…either one, you can’t go wrong! Good luck!

And I’m thinking about the spoonflower samples…Magpie’s pattern has you fold the fabric so that you are cutting two sides of the mask at once (right/left for darted front and right/left, inside/outside for original pattern). The only way I can see this working (with this pattern at least) is if you used the darted front pattern and sewed up the entire front seam. Then you would need entirely separate fabric for the lining.

Hope that made sense? And if I’m totally off base here, someone step in! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you. :heart:

I use a different pattern I drafted myself and no not have enough material in one of the 8x8 samples to do a whole mask.

1 Like

Thank you for the info, Malinda.

1 Like

I have been promising my mom, for months now, that I would make her a “Garth” mask (just plain with his logo) and I FINALLY got it done this week. But she’s decided she needs to save it and only wear it on for special days.

The pattern by @Magpie is the only one I’ve used. Freezer paper stencil cut by Cricut. Tulip Soft Fabric Silver Metallic Paint along with Tulip Glitter Fabric Paint. (Oh and it got elastic after drying but it was still in that stage when the pic was taken.)

3 Likes