Mini book/zine-- ART 2020 Q1 Challenge Entry

I haven’t done any bookbinding in a while (and this hardly counts, since they’re stapled) but I wanted to do something (belatedly…) for everyone in the Little Good Things swap and I’d been looking at little art zines elsewhere on the web, and so this is what I ended up with.

It’s 1/16th of a standard sheet of paper, with 8 double-sided pages.

Because the LGT swap went over 50 people, I made it an edition of 100 so I’d have plenty to send and still have some left over for other things.

Pencil sketch, then traced & inked:

With leaves punched & glued on, ready to scan:

Scanned, printed double-sided (Do not trust the copy shop to line up both sides of your print job; half of these cut fine & half needed fudging. :slightly_frowning_face:) and then sliced into pages:

More slicing!

Collated, folded, stapling pretty paper scraps to the back:

…and numbering 100 editions with a ballpoint pen I borrowed from the library circ desk, since I forgot to bring any writing implements of my own:

Some details from the one I colored in for my daughter’s valentine: (Half her favorite songs are from Frozen movies…)

27 Likes

This is absolutely amazing! Sooo many and soo tiny! You did such a marvelous job, and I love that you made them to share! Thanks so much for entering the challenge too! You rock!!

1 Like

Those are so cute. I love seeing your process and the little bits of paper on the spine are a really great touch!

1 Like

This makes me so happy! It is so wonderful.

1 Like

Wow… 100! How fantastic! Thanks so much for entering and also sharing your process.

1 Like

HOT DANG! What a great tiny/huge project! I often find myself contemplating how a project I am working on would scale to larger production numbers (for no real reason) so it was especially interesting to see a bit of your process.

1 Like

I love the idea of a tiny book of favorite little things! So cute!

Oh Ann…now I know who the mystery mail I saw in my USPS mail alert is from!!

What an incredible project to do…lots of tiny details…loved seeing how you work!

They turned out fun and now, I can’t wait! :smiley:

1 Like

Holl up.

Did you draw a mini page of everyone’s favorite LGT’s? And then make copies. and then make them into mini books?

Maybe I misunderstood? I love to see all your little mini sketches!

:metal:

1 Like

Oh, this wins the internet! Awesome! You rock, sister.

2 Likes

Just some of mine! Coloring, embellishment, and adding your own drawings is encouraged! (but if you do it, post pictures!!)

1 Like

If that ain’t the sweetest thing. I just don’t know. :heartbeat:

1 Like

I’m pretty excited about this. Such a perfect idea and format, and the artwork is so sweet. Thank you for putting these tiny-little good things into the world! A LGT zine swap, at some point, would be awesome.

This is wonderful! Keeping an eye on my mailbox now in gleeful anticipation!! :grin:

YA’LL, MINE ARRIVED TODAY! It is so teeney!!! But the inner tree sketch is the sweetest of them all.

Followed closely by an appreciation for sticks and rocks. Both of which are amazing. Thank you so very much @thanate! I LOVE IT!

:heartbeat: :metal:

2 Likes

What an amazing amount of work, they are so cute! now to stalk the mailman.

1 Like

Oh my word, these are amazing!! So excited to see one in person!! Wow!!

2 Likes

I got mine yesterday! My dog Delia is always VERY interested in opening packages and envelopes, so I let her have a sniff so she would know it was not a t-r-e-a-t.

She mistook it as an offer AND a t-r-e-a-t! Luckily she left no marks!

THANK YOU, thanate!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing the link with me. So much work went into this for all of us. Much appreciated!

1 Like

I just realized I don’t think I left a comment here. I love this little book so much!! (And I will cherish mine, for sure!)

1 Like