Mini Hanging Sachet Ornaments

These can also be called mini pillow ornaments. They are a fun size with the clock being 3x3.5".

I cut pieces of an old white sheet with pinking shears. I painted the front pieces with watercolors, allowing them to bleed and blend.

I stamped 2 of the 3 fronts with my hand-carved stamps. For the 3rd, I used a purchased stamp. I accented some faintly-stamped areas and designed border patterns with black permanent marker.

For the clock stamp, I taped together 2 small erasers and drew on a rustic clock and carved it out. I used the 2 erasers because I didn’t have a wide one. It makes the stamp more versatile in altered artwork in being able to be stamped as one-half.

All of the ornaments were embellished after assembly. I glued the fronts and backs together with fabric glue, leaving a top opening to stuff with fiberfill and to add ribbon hangers. I used grosgrain ribbon for the clock.

I then hand-sewed the beads embellishments and designed the tassels. Because I did this after assembly, I glued a felt piece to the back of each to cover the mechanics.

I stamped the dragonfly with a portion of my large, hand-carved dragonfly stamp and used sheer ribbon for the hanger.

I stamped the flower vase with a purchased stamp and used sheer ribbon. Essential oils can be applied to the sachets to dispense lovely scents into the environment. They are also easy to ship and to put in holiday stockings.

I wanted these projects to be quick and easy and I enjoyed the slow-stitching embellishment technique, though I think that generally includes/features hand embroidery.

For my next batch, I will probably sew them together, especially if I want to bead borders. The glue made it difficult to get the needle through in places.

Thanks for looking!
This is 11th in my 18-posts Chameleon Badge pursuit! :hot_face:

28 Likes

Loving that clock! All are great but the clock speaks to me. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

These are really cool!

1 Like

I love how vibrant and fun these are. The watercolors gave a cool effect.
Good luck with the badge. I am one food item away. Maybe this year.

6 Likes

What great little sachet ornaments! You are so resourceful, making the stamp out of erasers. These are so artsy and so cool. What a great gift idea!

2 Likes

These are SO GREAT! I love all the colour, texture & detail. Magnifique!

1 Like

Super interesting and unique!

1 Like

So charming!

1 Like

The stamps had already been carved for other projects when I started this sachet project. I have been carving eraser stamps for awhile. I buy them at Dollar Tree and places like that.

One thing that I like about using erasers ~vs~ carving blocks is their thickness. I can carve on up to 6 sides.

5 Likes

One food item away? How exciting! Watching for your announcement. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

It’ll be a while. I hate cooking. Ha!

You got every inch out of that eraser! Yay to not waste anything and get awesome stamps out of the deal.

3 Likes

That clock stamp is amazing!
And I agree about the versatility when you use each half.
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you! My pleasure to share.

1 Like

These are so cool!

1 Like

The colors you achieved- so saturated! I love it! They are all great but the clock one speaks to me, also.

1 Like

Next time I would probably spray them with some type of fixative (front only to allow for adding fragrance oils to the back). Because it’s watercolor on fabric, they do fade some over time. It can help them to look vintage and give them an heirloom look, but I too prefer saturated colors.

1 Like

:sparkling_heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :cupid: :heart_eyes: :heartpulse: Are you feeling the love? Because your lovely craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :sparkling_heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :cupid: :heart_eyes: :heartpulse:

3 Likes

These are beautiful; and such hard work and thought went into each one. I think it was a really neat idea to carve the clock stamp from 2 pieces.

1 Like

I had no choice because I didn’t have an eraser wide enough to draw the round clock large enough. So, I can’t take credit for an idea; it was just an accommodation. :blush: But thank you!

Now, it was my idea to separate the 2 after I carved it. I carved it to leave it taped together to always stamp the full clock. I saw that the accommodation could be a double asset if I treated it as 2 stamps! :bulb:

2 Likes

These are beautiful little treasures. So bright and cheery and full of details.

2 Likes