Mini hot glue wrought iron chandelier

I’m working on a miniature scene set in the mission days of California – featuring Zorro.

I’ve been looking for a not so fiddly way to make wrought iron. The other day, I was using the hot glue gun, and a lightbulb went off (grain of rice LED, of course).

It consists of six pieces drawn in hot glue on parchment paper, allowed to set, then assembled using…hot glue. I got better control with the glue gun set to low heat–less glue, sets faster equals finer lines.

The flat black spray paint helped stiffen it up a bit, and really highlights the glue threads.

Before painting

First try, high setting on glue gun

Pattern used for both

27 Likes

This is so clever!

1 Like

Neat!

1 Like

What a great effect! I love the wispy strings…

1 Like

Yeah…they might be a good effect for another application.

This is fun!

1 Like

Oh great idea! That looks so neat!

1 Like

OK, first of all Zorro. Guy Williams Zoro? He was the best.

Also I can’t believe that is hot glue. What?! That’s amazing and super creative.

2 Likes

I’ve been binge watching old Guy Williams episodes on YouTube. The plots are thin and characters underdeveloped, but there are some great design details! And, you know, Zorro!

3 Likes

Well that’s just the most wonderful off-use of a product ever. So smart of you to think of that!

2 Likes

Oh the things you discover when you come to Lettuce…you can make an awesome mini chandelier from hot glue! Fascinating process.

3 Likes

Wow! That is really cool.

1 Like

Ooh, please tell me you’re going to have someone swing on it!! My 12-year-old self, who made a lego version of the Disney Zorro set, is deeply jealous! :grinning:

2 Likes

Too cool!!

1 Like

I love your mini chandelier! I can’t believe it’s made of hot glue. It looks great!

2 Likes

Fantastic idea!

1 Like

Just like old school 3-D printing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I love this and love it’s for Zorro! I was seriously obsessed with those movies as a kid! How much fun!

1 Like

This is AWESOME! Do we get to see the completed project, too? please, please, please… :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

You bet! Come to the Tucson Miniature Show in October and see it in person!
But I plan to post it here when done, as well as my favorite bits and pieces along the way.

2 Likes