More spring sewing projects

Last year, I finished a couple of easy projects that can be found here Three spring sewing projects.

One of the things I finished was a t-shirt that I didn’t like a lot and ended up not really wearing. Well, I had a tiny little scrap left over from that fabric, so I decided to make PJ pants so I’d have a set. These were the last bits of fabric so that’s why it looks a bit odd with the super wide waistband (I sewed the elastic in a smaller casing inside the waistband) and the strange pattern matching. But it’s PJs and I tend to sleep with my eyes closed anyway. It’s comfortable.

Then, a simple skirt. This fabric came from the €1 leftover bin at a fabric store. It was about a yard and I still have the other half left. This was just a matter of folding it in half, sewing the back seam, stitching the casing for the elastic waistband and hemming. The other half will be a pinafore tunic style top that I’ll wear with flared jeans so I can pretend it’s the early 00s again.

Then this one, a skirt! I originally wanted to make a 1930s style dress from a pattern, but the whole top was just absolutely awful and there was no way to make it look good. So I decided to salvage the skirt.

Honestly, the reason I never posted any of these is because I felt pretty meh about them all. I like the middle skirt best but I really got the fabric for the top, the skirt was just an afterthought to use up the leftover fabric. I’m glad I managed to salvage the pineapple fabric but I think it’s a quite pineappl-y and in hindsight, this skirt consists of four pattern pieces, so it has a seam right in the middle of the pattern, and isn’t great for patterned fabrics.

11 Likes

I think these look great. I admire anyone who can make clothes, and these are fun.

2 Likes

Actually, making clothes is not that hard! Especially if you use a knit fabric and don’t expect it to be perfect the first time. It’s much easier than quilting, for example. If you can sew a basic straight line, you can finish a simple skirt in about an hour.

I can sew nicer things than this, but it takes so extremely long. I finish maybe one “real” garment a year, and with that I mean a pattern that I draft from scratch and buy nice fabric for and can wear to the office. Most other things I sew are basic garments like this - things that are comfortable but not really nic enough to wear outside of the house.

3 Likes

I also admire people who make their own clothes, whether they wear them outside their own house or not. Some really cute fabrics, and fun garments.

1 Like

These are perfect for the warming weather, both is style and in the prints. Life is too short not to wear pineapples!

1 Like

I love the grapefruit fabric!!!

1 Like

It’s clear that I still love prints at an age where my mum tries to tell me it’s no longer appropriate :wink: I bought both fruity fabrics in early lockdown because I was so tired of all the sadness - I lost a close relative to Covid and two were very ill at the time, but recovered. I just really wanted bright and happy prints.

Both skirts were hemmed with the serger (my friend’s, as I don’t have one) for the pineapple skirt, I chose a very narrow rolled hem, for the brown skirt I used a regular overlock stitch.

4 Likes

What? When does liking what you like become inappropriate?
Those all look great, functional and well constructed. I like the serger for a narrow rolled hem, takes a lot of thread but looks terrific.

2 Likes

Well, according to my mother around the age of 12 or so? And having long hair becomes inappropriate at some point in your 20s. She only brings it up a few times a year now, she has mostly accepted that I’m pretty stubborn. I wear boring grownup stuff to work but our house will probably always look like a rainbow exploded inside.

I think I will stick to advice from my mama. She’s mid-70’s and she is a RIOT!

1 Like

I will give it a try when I get home! How cool is that, to just do it, at that age?? I like the artwork.

Mine used to be a hippie but hasn’t been able to let go of some of the traditional expectations for women. Funny thing is it’s very selective - she’s really annoyed by grown up women with long hair or fun dresses, she doesn’t like my glasses either, but she’d never mention make-up or weight or body hair. I did learn a lot from her, so I usually just ignore the rest.

1 Like