My DNA is Red, White and Blue

This quilt began with 20 fat quarters and ended with a fun double-helix and zigzag pattern.

I started three quilts using fat quarters (big thanks to Jo-Ann’s and their $0.99 FQ sale plus coupons for enabling this indulgence) and half-square triangles. This is #2. It measures 60" x 84".

The first was for a charity auction. This quilt is for my sister on her birthday (she just turned 50!). I am a little late, thanks to this stupid virus and the resulting lock down, needed to make masks, etc.

Anyway, on to the pictures! Sorry they stink. My quilt frame is currently with the charity quilt, waiting for the auction to be rescheduled.

Yup, miscalculated the amount of backing fabric I needed. Scraps to the rescue! (This fabric sparkles!)

16 Likes

Stunning quilt.
I love the backing, the fabric is great, the pieced strip ties it together and the label says it all.

1 Like

This is really pretty and very clean looking. I love the strip on the back. I’m sure your sister will love this!

1 Like

Gorgeous!!!

1 Like

i love how you used the scraps in the back.
adding a little visual interest makes it more fun that way!

1 Like

Oh boy, I love this layout! And it looks to be quilted with concentric stars – fantastic!!!

1 Like

Thanks! I did quilt it with echoed stars. I’ve done a few quilts with a similar motif and it makes for a nice drape (after a wash or two).

1 Like

I love it! I have made a lot of red, white and blue quilts, mostly for Wounded Warrior auctions…they are really patriotic and I think show a lot of pride in our country, even if it is messed up right now…

I love that star fabric…you say it sparkles? WOW! I need that!

I hope to see more of your lovely quilts…they are really special…and better late than never…you sister will be happy to have it!!!

1 Like

Gorgeous!!

1 Like

Wow! You thought of every little detail and it shows. This is spectacular. I love the stars in the quilting too!

2 Likes

Thank you! I got the fabric at Jo-Ann’s. Should still be available, I know they’ve had it for a couple years now. It’s nice because it’s just a few stars that are glittery, and the glitter is glued down very well (read: doesn’t turn a load of laundry into a nightmare).

I have one more quilt that just needs pinning, quilting, and binding. (Then, I’m going to be cutting up my scraps for a scrap quilt!)

1 Like

Congrats! Your Red, White and Blue quilt is one of this week’s featured projects.

1 Like

Thank you!