Ombré lap quilt

When my stepdaughter came to visit over the holidays, she spent quite a lot of time snuggled under one of our lap quilts on the couch - it’s summer here too (just like her dad lol). So I thought she might like a lap quilt of her own.

I used this simple free pattern for an ombré HST quilt, and pieced the back and made the binding with the leftovers. It’s on its way to her now - I hope she likes it!

32 Likes

This is gorgeous! I love the ombre effect and your fabric choices…beautiful!

1 Like

Beautiful! Lucky girl!

1 Like

So pretty! The colors are beautiful! And I bet she will just love it! What a thoughtful gift!

1 Like

I love it! Great colors, awesome pattern, thoughtful gift. :blue_heart:

1 Like

Gorgeous colors and excellent piecing! Sure to be loved.

1 Like

It’s gorgeous! The colors and fabrics are so pretty together. I’m sure it will be cherished.

1 Like

Such a beauty! The colours are just lovely. How many are there? I see 7… or 8? Did she love it?

I really like how you’ve quilted it. I’m so intimidated by complex quilting patterns & always looking for ones I can do myself without high risk of mucking it up. This diagonal partial stitch-in-the-ditch looks doable. What did you use for batting? Did you use a spray basting? The thing I have the most trouble with is keeping layers from shifting around. That, & stuffing wads of quilt in the throat of the machine, haha!

2 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like

That is so pretty and restful. I’d take a nap under it any day!

1 Like

It’s beautiful! I love the colors and the way the ombre effect is achieved due to the blending of the triangles. I’m sure it will be a wonderful surprise, and a cherished quilt for years to come!

1 Like

This is so gorgeous! You are such a thoughtful stepmom!

1 Like

A very cool take on ombre and such a thoughtful gift!

1 Like

I love the colours you picked!

1 Like

Thanks! There’s 8 colours in the pattern. The designer gives a calculator to figure out the square size for whatever size quilt you want to make.

Yep, very doable, I went for the easiest way to quilt it :grinning: I just have a regular machine, and I wanted to get it done fairly quickly. I’ve never used spray basting, is it good? I used a bamboo batting, which wasn’t very thick, and was good at gripping the fabric. Pinned it all out with the curved safety pins. I used a ruler and a little tailor’s chalk to mark the lines where it wasn’t in the ditch - all straight lines, so it didn’t need much marking. Just rolled it, and it went through the throat of the machine easily (lap size - I did a queen size once and my arms sure got a workout!!). I think the things that make the biggest difference for me to stop layers shifting (I hear ya!) are holding it fairly firmly as I feed the fabric through, and using a walking foot. I think this was the first time I didn’t have to unpick a pucker on the back and re-sew though …

3 Likes

Thanks everybody! We don’t see her very often, so I hope it will let her know that she’s loved whenever she uses it. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

It’s gorgeous! I’m sure she’ll love it.

1 Like

I have some basting spray but it says to use it in a well ventilated area and that’s a bit inconvenient with a quilt. What am I gonna do, take the thing outside and lay it on the ground? LOL, I may have to find some smaller projects to use it with, outside on a table when the weather is fine with no wind.

Thanks for sharing the link, I would like to try it on a very small scale for a placemat. My Aunt loves blue and handicrafts and math so this would be a nice project to gift her with. I could make it the right size to sew into a tote for her. I will think on it… I certainly have enough scraps in every colour to make some small versions of the pattern.

3 Likes

Ooh, I think it would be fab in a small scale!! Great idea! I think it’s a neat pattern, it looks smart and modern, and there’s so much scope to play around with colours :rainbow:

Those colors are really PRETTY!!! And they match sooo well!!!

1 Like