🌈 Ombre Rainbow Stars Baby Quilt

This is a very special project that I was worried about finishing on time, and it’s a huge relief to have it done. I’m sure many of you can relate to the fact that we all craft so often for friends and family, that things for ourselves get pushed aside. This was a project that I desperately wanted to make, but was afraid I’d run out of time on. A quilt for my own baby, who will be with us very shortly. I’m 38 weeks today, but my doctor informed me that if I haven’t gone into labor before then, that she’s inducing me at 39 weeks, just a week from today.

The pattern is Joyful Stars by Cotton and Joy, and contains options for Baby, Throw, Twin & Queen/King sizes, and can be made with Charm Squares, Layer Cakes, Fat Quarters, or regular yardage. The directions are simple, and easy to follow. The blocks are a huge 14" and go together very quickly.

The pattern shows it made up two ways, with more scrappy patchwork blocks, or these ombre rainbow blocks created by using ombre prints. When I went to my local quilt shop to ask if they had any ombre prints, they said they had put aside all their bolts for their BOM challenges this year, but the owner pulled out a Fat Quarter bundle of these Fairy Stardust prints that she said had been on the shelf for ages, and no one had bought. It was $140, and contained way more colors than I needed, so she just opened it up, and told me to pick whatever colors I wanted, and she’d sell them to me for their regular Fat Quarter prices. She even helped unfold and lay them all out so we could put together the perfect rainbow of shades. (My soon to arrive daughter is a Rainbow Baby, or a baby who comes after pregnancy losses, so I’ve tried to incorporate that feeling of color and joy into her nursery, quilt, and other things we have for her.) They have some lovely color splatters, and a smattering of silver metallic stars all over.

The dark charcoal sashing is Rainbow Shimmer in Graphite, from Andover fabrics and features bursts of metallic gold stars and hearts. The backing is the one bolt of Fairy Stardust they still had on the floor, a beautiful teal/turquoise. I can’t remember what line the purple binding fabric was from, but it was also from the same local shop. I think I freaked out the owner & her friend with the idea of making a quilt for a baby girl, featuring so much dark-grey-almost-black, but I’m thrilled with the result. I’m hoping to stop by there with it on Saturday, to show them the finished results.

The whole thing was quilted using a free motion stippling pattern I like to do, in a deep grey thread that blends nicely with all the colors, the sashing, and the turquoise backing. I’m so happy with how this piece came out, and that I was able to finish it with plenty of time to spare. I had been so worried that with all the other little things that I needed to get done before the baby comes, coupled with the random stuff life throws at you, that I wouldn’t finish this quilt on time. While others have pointed out that she wouldn’t know if it wasn’t finished until a month after she was born, I would know. I’ve waited so long for her, that I wanted her to come into a world where her mother had made a special quilt, just for her.

Finally, if anyone here is struggling with infertility and needs a friend to talk to, please don’t hesitate to reach out. I wouldn’t have gotten through this very long dark road without the support of so many LC friends. You are not alone.

31 Likes

Beautiful! And glad you made your deadline. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s an absolutely gorgeous quilt! A very special baby quilt for a very special baby. The fabrics you used are very nice and you have such a good eye for colour. Even though there’s so much dark fabric in it, it’s not a dark quilt, it’s very happy and joyful.

I’m sure your daughter will absolutely love this special blanket made especially for her and when she’s older I hope you can share the special story behind it with her.

3 Likes

This is gorgeous! I’m so thrilled for you. :heart:

3 Likes

Beautiful work my friend! Sure to be treasured. :heart:

3 Likes

This is such a vibrant yet peaceful piece of art! Many times, rainbow items hurt my brain from the harsh & clash, but this is all gorgeous & luscious & makes my brain so very happy. It is a wonderful quilt for your little one!

4 Likes

So lovely. And congrats in advance!

3 Likes

Oh, this is so wonderful and so perfect for your little one! Congrats and hugs in advance!

4 Likes

It is a beautiful quilt. And your little girl is going to know that you love her to the stars and back.

4 Likes

Absolutely beautiful! And congrats!

3 Likes

That fabric is so beautiful. I LOVE rainbows and the little stars make it look like it was dusted from the heavens. So pretty. That dark grey just makes all of the colors pop.

4 Likes

I’ve watched the progress on this quilt and simply love it. It is such a rich and happy baby quilt. I love the intensity of the colors. I don’t know where the idea that babies must have pastels came from, but there is no reason to stick with pastels.

It’s beautiful and so welcoming to a new baby, I can see the little bundle nestled in the quilt.

4 Likes

I like to say that pastels are just colors that didn’t try hard enough. LOL

6 Likes

This is stunning. Godzilla will love this for ages :heart:

3 Likes

This is stunning! Congratulations on getting in done on your timeline and having it ready for her when she gets home. I am certain she will feel the love that went into every single stitch!

3 Likes

Ohmahgoodness we’re gonna have a baby soon!! This quilt is delightful

2 Likes

This quilt is so beautiful!

2 Likes

I love it, so sweet!

2 Likes

That star fabric is amazing, and you’ve got not just pretty-for-adults colors but also good contrast going for tiny eyeballs. :green_heart:

2 Likes

I keep coming back to ogle. The best thing about this quilt (if one can choose a best) is that babies don’t stay babies and this quilt would not be out of place or embarrassing to have out in an angsty teen’s room, in the first dorm room, or draped over an armchair in her future apartments and homes for over the shoulders or legs while watching whatever TV looks like by then. A “baby” blanket of traditional colors and prints is a beautiful thing and has its place as an heirloom or using for generations of babies, this blanket is for this person to use for her whole life should she choose. Love it.

4 Likes