Ongoing Ornament Swap 2020 Discussion and Gallery

I totally get it! I love how eagerly everyone is claiming! It’s really keeping the momentum and motivation up for this swap! XD I’m trying to make myself finish one more before I claim another, just so I don’t overcommit myself, but it’s haaaaard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

On the one hand, it’s probably a good thing I can’t claim anymore right now. On the other hand my brain won’t stop thinking of possible ornament ideas based on everyone’s lists.

I’m so glad that @Lynx made a separate post for the RBG ornament she made, otherwise I would’ve totally missed this swap!

3 Likes

Feel free to nudge any other LC friends you think might want to join! We’d love more players and there’s still plenty of time! XD

(Tbh I’m actually already hoping we have another round in November; stuff should still probably arrive in time for Christmas!)

4 Likes

I’ve been hoping for the same thing :grin:.

If I’m able to attend today’s Zoom meeting, I’m definitely going to encourage the participants to come join!

2 Likes

I’d be willing to host another round if we get a new round of swaps and it gets voted. Maybe we’d get more people closer to Christmas. Maybe Oct is too early to think Christmas ornaments for some people with the Halloween swaps happening.

2 Likes

Ooh, so glad you saw that post and that you came to play!

1 Like

I think you have to send some off before you claim again, so that can help with your claiming “itch” a little bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve sent five and have two outstanding claims, so I think TECHNICALLY I could still claim… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, yes, you are right. I somehow missed one of your sent claims in my tally. So, yes, you technically can claim.

1 Like

Hahaha, no worries; I’m still making myself finish some stuff first! XD

Consider me encouraged. I’ve just looked back over the thread, you guys have made some fabulous stuff.

3 Likes

Ooooooh!! Join us, Edel! XD

1 Like

Woohoo! It really would be great to have you join!

1 Like

I sent two ornament packages out today. @endymion and @roler. The Medieval monster ornament is still on the sketch stage.

I slammed my hand in the car door today, so I probably won’t claim until I know the swelling is going down. Right now, I can’t bend my index finger and it is needed for faster crafting.

@Edel more swappers! Woohoo!

1 Like

Oh no!! I hope your hand recovers soon! That sounds so painful!

I am looking forward to seeing what you just put in the mail too! (And the medieval monster, but take it easy with your poor hand!)

1 Like

Oh no, @AuFish, I hope your hand recovers quickly!!

And @roler, I want to say the opposite of thank you. I looked up medieval manuscript monsters, need I say more? Lol, there are some seriously bizarre creatures! Some guy who had a belly/torso head kept popping up. I saw pictures, but I didn’t look into any explanations about the monsters, which I feel I now need to do. They are something that I had never encountered before. How did your interest in them first begin?

1 Like

Oh no, the opposite of thank you?! Did I do something terrible?! ^^;

Well, I was an English major specializing in old British stuff, but the main thing is that the style is just so beautiful and quirky and the animals are so charmingly wEIRD!! I’m not as into the humanoid ones because they can be pretty grotesque, but I love the ones where someone tried to draw an animal they’d clearly never seen before and they just come out ridiculous, like bizarre elephants, besieged rabbits, and whatever these are (each of those words is a different link :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ). That’s just a tiny sample; a quick google search of “medieval manuscript creatures” or “medieval bestiary” brings up such a delightful selection, and I sometimes go down the rabbit hole from there. They’re just so fun and whimsical, classical and crazy at the same time! XD My favs!!

(Also yesterday I was positively drooling over some Redbubble merchandise ).

2 Likes

Oh, I think you just forgot to put a disclaimer of “fodder for nightmares,” next the words, “medieval manuscript monsters.” :laughing: Haha, not for reals, but I agree with you that some of the humanoid ones can be grotesque and just extremely bizarre! I can definitely see how a search can result in a rabbit hole of more and more strange creatures!

You made the Japanese mail monster, right? Some of these creatures feel reminiscent of that. And as for those animals that you linked to above, I agree that they very much look like someone trying to draw something they’ve heard about, but haven’t seen. That snail cat would make for a pretty good ornament!

1 Like

Hahaha, sorry about that! I honestly think a ton of them are super cute! XD

Yeah, I did make that mail monster. I love traditional Japanese youkai monsters too, but they’re much harder to google now, no thanks to the popularity of the anime Youkai Watch, which is generally all that comes up. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Oooh, I should put youkai on my ATC list! XD

1 Like

You guys are a hoot! This is such a fun swap!

@AuFish, I’ll update your sent swaps tomorrow, and I hope your hand feels better by then too!

3 Likes