Ongoing Ornament Swap 2023 Discussion and Gallery

Michael’s and Joanne’s both betrayed me yesterday by not having the supplies I needed. The nerve! :rofl:

I finished one ornament but want to finish the other 2 before mailing so I can limit my post office trips.

6 Likes

Dollar tree only had plastic champagne glasses, which are too shallow for domes.

Do I go with another idea, or search for plastic wine glasses elsewhere? Or break the stems off glass ones…?

3 Likes

I bypassed the perfect ornament shell today…because it was glass. I figure no matter how carefully I wrap it, USPS can still smash it.

2 Likes

Hobby Lobby came through where Michaels and Jo-ann’s fell short. I now have VERY pink feathers. And I only came home with one extra item I hadn’t planned on but absolutely need for future ornaments I haven’t signed up for or metally designed or planned in the slightest :rofl:.

5 Likes

Yeah, usps broke both toasting glasses from our wedding. I was able to use one as a dome for a mini christmas tree.

2 Likes

Do party stores sell plastic wine glasses? Not sure how many you’d have to buy, though…

Maybe you could wander over to the Use It Or Lose It topic and see if someone has one or two they could send your way…?

Or maybe you could ask an event space or restaurant if you could “rescue” a used one from the waste bin?

3 Likes

I had no idea that was a thing! After Shop The Swap closes I’m absolutely listing some supplies.

3 Likes

Ooh, don’t go that far. (Yes, I know you were joking…I hope :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I have done it, but don’t have any wine glasses on hand. Might as well buy plastic.

I’m so excited to join this swap! Seems like a great way to work on little projects; and to challenge myself to just (primarily??) use my stash! I’ve become less of a crafter and more of a craft supply enthusiast in recent years. :sweat_smile: I’d like to change that.

9 Likes

Also…a question. I didn’t see anyone mentioning specific styles of crafting they like or don’t like or wouldn’t want to receive… I’m planning on doing a lot of mine out of fabric. Is that okay?

6 Likes

Yes! More than okay. It is senders choice the medium you use when you claim, unless the person specifically requests something.

4 Likes

Oh yes, that’s what I usually do and I’ve received many wonderful fabric ornaments.

4 Likes

Yes, fabric ones are always appreciated!

@Cindy, I’m so inspired by your list, but I have already claimed my max number. Bummer! I hope to catch everyone eventually. (As long as my time & energy and hands hold out!)

9 Likes

You can message your partner with questions. I’ve asked mine about colors, and changed my plans accordingly.

5 Likes

Working on one idea tonight. I tried 3D, but flat is turning out much better.

5 Likes

Big strides today, both are emphatically 3D.
I might have to sneak some orange in somewhere…

5 Likes

Partway through both claims. Hoping they turn out well.

3 Likes

I’m 80% complete on one ornament, 100% on another, and I’ve gutted an existing ornament as a shell for my third :rofl:.

5 Likes

I started @Lynx’s, but am waiting on a supply I ordered before I’ll be able to finish it.

I made one for @steiconi… and then took it apart because it didn’t meet my standards. Starting over on that one!

For @Tapestry, I am juggling a couple of different options. The one I really want to do is probably too complicated!

2 Likes