Ostara Swap Gallery (former Witch/Wicca/Pagan) - S/O 03/03/2020

Oh, my! Both the egg and the hat are absolutely stunning! Wulf, you are so talented. The pussy willows and the scatter stitches on the hat brim are just lovely.
I had never heard of this style of egg decorating until I visited the Ukrainian National Museum in Chicago a few months ago. This is a very complicated multi-step process. Your egg is just as beautiful as any I saw in the museum.

1 Like

@Wulf amazing work, I cannot imagine how difficult the details on the wax resist egg must have been, it’s beautiful. And the hat is lovely! Is that denim?

1 Like

The Ostara witch’s bonnet is actually made of fabric I scavenged from some Russian prison uniforms that the wardrobe department of my opera company was getting rid of. The cut of them was about as ugly as you’d expect Russian prison uniforms to be, but I wasn’t going to pass up that nice, heavy, hand-dyed cotton. The lining is a piece of spring green linen from my stash. I’m especially happy with the tiny ribbonwork daffodils between the bunches of pussywillows.

Some years ago I wrote a little piece on Ukrainian egg decoration for the old Craftster Coven craft blog: https://craftstercoven.blogspot.com/2012/03/eggs-ukrainian-pysanky.htm

7 Likes

The details on the witch hat are exquisite…the ribbon embroidery is my favorite. What a novel place to get fabric! The hat has a unique start then…sturdy fabric with a story!

2 Likes

Oh Wulf. The witch bonnet is truly wonderful. I love the base material and appreciate you kept the material. What a score! The willows are amazing and I’m happy to see more details - it appears as if you wrapped the base in more thread. And made subtlety different colors. Swoon!

The touch of ribbonwork at the base is just the right amount. I have zero skill in this area, so truly admire the inclusion, as it would not have occurred to me.

Finally, you both made egg art! Thank you for the link. I’m off to check out your previous work!

:heartbeat:

The blog is awesome! I missed the boat there.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, this hat! It is a magnificent masterpiece! I would love to hear more about the stitches & inspiration. Wow.

I also missed that blog! How did that happen?

1 Like

The Craftster Coven blog was something a few of the early WWP swappers were collaborating in. Looking back over it now, I think it could probably be revived.

2 Likes

This would be interesting. Blogging is almost subversive now.

1 Like

Oh Wulf that hat is amazing.

and it would be great to revive the blog.

1 Like

Such fine work. Must’ve taken you many hours. I’m very impressed with both the hat, entirely from scratch no less, and with the egg. You have such patience. You did a wonderful job.

(And how cute are those stickers!? The little chicken in a bunny ear hat! :hatched_chick:)

2 Likes

Y’all. All packages have arrived! We completed another swap! Ostara is officially fin!

…now on to Beltane!

5 Likes

I intend to add a button or other fastener to hold the pointy end of the hat down so I can wear it daily. Folded down it looks a bit like the creased top of a fedora. I’m not bold enough to wear it erect in public.

3 Likes

I love you will wear it, anyway. Use it as it’s intended. And it will be an undercover secret.

That’s a brilliant idea! I wish I’d thought of that - it’ll definitely be a feature of any future witch hats I make.

1 Like