Paper, Mixed Media, Art Journaling Craftalong 2023

Ooo @jeanneleigh - I love your nebulas!!

@geekgirl - great colors in that page. I can see moody. :smile:

@megwell - such a cool idea! I really like the effect you got with the brown in the background.

@AIMR - lovely and subtle! Your moon came out great.

My moon on the other hand…was not so great. It morphed into a planet when I tried to fix it.

Ruby did a page too!

8 Likes

Full disclosure: I edited this to make the white look whiter. It looked so yellow in my photo.
Edit: Still looks pretty yellow. :person_facepalming:

I think adding more layers as it dries helped me form clouds. Although my clouds started taking on funky shapes as I went.

This was fun! Sorry I had to scoot out so fast. We had some unexpected company and I felt a little bad not visiting.

14 Likes

Forgot to post the use-it-up pages I finished at the end!

8 Likes

I love it!!

@jeanneleigh your nebulas are great and love those cute little pumpkins!

@megwell I never thought to alter a coloring page. Looks great!

@AIMR your night sky looks good.

@Abbeeroad the planet is perfect! and Ruby did a great job!

@curiousfae yours looks fantastic! I tried another page yesterday and it still didn’t come out great. you look like you really got the technique down.

1 Like

One more use-it-up page from tonight:

7 Likes

More pinecone practice. This one with watercolors. The right side is kinda wonky but pinecones often have a flat / messed up side
The one with markers was easier to do

15 Likes

I love it…it looks more spontaneous…did you have to wait between colors/shades?

2 Likes

I love it.

2 Likes

Not too long, I didn’t do wet on wet so there wasn’t too much water.

I also didn’t sketch the pinecone tips ahead of time and just free handed it. Maybe next time I’ll try sketching it in first

2 Likes

I like the free handed…it looks more “relaxed”? I have always wanted to go on those walking paint tours where you just get the gist of the object and put in the details later…it looks very freeing…

1 Like

Looks so good! Your shading is perfect. You can really see the depth of the seeds

2 Likes

I joined an Ugly Art Club play date today - to make and trade ATCs.

I’m at my mom’s house but fortunately she has the basic, go-to mixed media stuff.

First we made the backgrounds with resist, paint, splatters, Stabilo or other water soluble pencils and dripped rubbing alcohol.

Then how to add more marks and stitching or collage or ephemera. Since I knew I was taking the class. I copied images that my preschoolers made for a card they gave me. I painted them with the same colors I used for the master board.

I’m supposed to make 9 and send 8. But I cut my master board poorly. I have a second master board in blue, green and gold so I’ll make some more.

15 Likes

This is great!
And I agree, many of them have a flat side, so this is realistic.

How fun to use the images from preschoolers!

1 Like

Yes, meant to say that I love the pine cone, @geekgirl. Are they perfect in nature? I don’t think so.

That doesn’t look like Ugly Art to me.

2 Likes

Those are the sweetest little figures. I adore this idea. How fun!

1 Like

@geekgirl your pinecones look great! Is the last one with the new watercolor set?
@Smmarrt - I love those! The stick figures have so much character - my favorite is the leaping one on the “wake up & be happy” card. It looks so confident!

I love these! There is something about “child-like” art that is so happy and freeing!