Paper, Mixed Media, Art Journaling Craftalong 2023

That looks really cool Ren!! I especially like your contrasting colours and the smudgy effect.

2 Likes

Awesome work! Cool colors. I love your lines and different shapes. Balances out the big circle and adds interest.

1 Like

Here is a link to a free workshop to make collage papers. Starts today through Dec1

5 Likes

I got three bottles of acrylic ink in my Blick orderā€¦totally forgot why I bought themā€¦was there a video or did someone mention them in zoom? Not sure how to use theseā€¦

1 Like

I think you can use them to refill posca pens, but I could be wrong!

File this project on things I make for no reason.

Inspired by Somerset Studio magazine -

The dresses are about 7ā€ tall and mostly hand-cut. I have patterns for a few other designs. Hoping to use stash painted & printed papers and scraps and whimsies and other tiny things that live in my apartment.

9 Likes

And the map dress is upside down- oops. No biggie.

I mean that I cut it wrong but I like it anyway.

1 Like

How awesome that you made these just because you were inspired to. Sometimes inspiration can be so fleeting. Why not take advantage of that spark!
I really like the map one. And the graph paper for the apron is super clever.

3 Likes

Very nice!

So cute!

A very long, largely passive meeting this morning has lead to this:

Inspired by: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/02/c8/3c/02c83c555f7ecce24b82a3d9d4426d29.jpg

My circles are wonky and the light seems to be reflecting off the gold a bit, but more practice for me.

7 Likes

Wanted to share this for anyone who heard of Khadi paper and was interested in trying it. Itā€™s decent to work on if youā€™re not trying to use much water but hereā€™s what it did when I tried to lift pigment off and add a second later

Iā€™ll use the paper for watercolor doodling but wouldnā€™t try to use it for an actual project because the fibers canā€™t handle multiple layers or lifting.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s really pretty @Renstar!

Thatā€™s good to know about khadi paper @photojenn - Iā€™ve got some to try, but I havenā€™t tested it yet. Thanks for the tip!

3 Likes

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

2 Likes

I think I have some also- Wendy Solganik uses some kind of rough looking paper for one of her journals and I love seeing her pages. But it may be some other paper. I bought something similar but I havenā€™t tried it yet.

1 Like

I think this is the same paper she uses for her watercolor journals, I just donā€™t think sheā€™s really doing any wet on wet, layering, or lifting.

3 Likes

Playing with the Khadi paper again this morning I will say there is something nice about painting on it. It does seem to absorb pigment very quickly compared to something like Arches where it absorbs but is still workable and you can really manipulate and layer without affecting the paper. The Khadi paper almost feels more like watercoloring on thin cloth than paper.

Overall Iā€™d suggest anyone whoā€™s interested in it tries it but I wouldnā€™t suggest it as your only watercolor paper because I think youā€™d be fighting it a lot if you want to do anything requiring lots of water or layers. All of that being said, Iā€™m actually considering making myself a little journal with it because it is nice to paint on.

5 Likes

Iā€™m trying to get beyond over-thinking so I have stupid questions:

When you look for inspiration for your art, what is it you are drawn to?

• style
  • colour
  • theme
  • other
  • creative inspiration to move outside of comfort zone
  • all of the above and more?

When you join the zoom-a-longs do you already have an idea of how you will interpret the piece or is it an organic outpouring of artistic amazingness?

2 Likes

I know for me when I join itā€™s usually pretty open ended: sometimes I watch the video before hand, other times I wing it. And Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™m a planner so winging it can feel risky to me. But itā€™s so laid back that it is very easy. Plus Iā€™m a copy cat so I usually copy the artists in the video. Plus, you canā€™t really see what everyone is doing unless someone shows their progress - which is never required but always welcome. This is key for me because sometimes Iā€™m not ready to share just yet.
And sometimes, I pretend Iā€™m doing stuff and just hangout. lol. Just to be around peeps who are creating and who are kind. :heart:

5 Likes

In the art zooms, I pretty much follow along the video because I am trying to learn a new technique or use tools in a new way or group colors together that I am not familiar withā€¦since I usually donā€™t have the exact colors, tools, etc., it is never 100% copied and I also like to throw in things I learned from other videos.

When I look at art for inspiration, I am looking at colors but also interesting textures, shapes, marks, and how different medium react to each otherā€¦

In zoom, sometimes just starting is my goalā€¦I overthink as well and just grabbing a color and putting on a page gets me goingā€¦plus, I do enjoy hearing others talk about what is happening to their pieceā€¦what works, what they do or do not like, etc.

5 Likes