Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

I’ve really been on an art journaling kick lately and had fun doing the video JoyfulClover suggested a couple weeks ago.

So I plan on doing this video this weekend. It would be fun to see others try it and post pics!

4 Likes

I came across a free preview of Art Journal Freedom by Dina Wakley on google books. it’s not the whole book but it does show the supplies she likes to use and why and goes into some of her processes. The kindle version of the book is on amazon. I’m sure it’s available in other places too.

2 Likes

The shadow technique is cool

1 Like

Cardboard dolls to be abandoned - I make them from scraps of painted cardboard shapes I make for art room at my preschool.

I realize that putting that message on is a bit passive-aggressive but I see lots of folks not wearing them. The in-progress dolls will just have hearts, no preaching.

2 Likes

Sometimes people need a little preaching!
These are cute. It’s a sweet idea.

I finally did this video. I made 2 pages. One a 2 page spread in my larger art journal and 1 small page in a smaller journal.
It was a lot of fun but there’s so much modpodge, glue, and paint, even with a heat gun things weren’t drying very quickly. I normally work in phases and don’t usually complete whole pages at once so I don’t generally have the wetness problem.

But I still like my results.

Before paint was applied I love art that uses “trash”.

And the smaller page

Before paint - I knew saving all tags that come my way would be useful one day.

13 Likes

Yes!!! I love your use of trash!! Really great work

1 Like

My page was so laden with glue!

I really love your tip on collecting random tags to use. All will be covered in this page, so fun pieces would be saved for another day. I love your mix of shapes and layers!

I just watched this video this morning! I really love the finished result!

In her video, I wondered why she laid down the layer of text first. I couldn’t see it in her final images at all. I was hoping some would peek through, but the layers of gesso and paint seem to have covered it up entirely.

I looked at this again . I love the orange and red one! The shading on the corners is brilliant.

I love all of the texture, and l really like how going back in and outlining and smudging the tags, etc. gives the page so much depth!

Both pages are amazing, and while I am normally a purple girl, the orange page is my favorite of the two. It reminds me of a sunrise.

Yes, exactly this! Sunrise! And the smudging was perfect.

1 Like

I tried to leave some of the book page visible but it doesn’t show well in the photos. you can only really see it on the edges and corners. It would have definitely helped leave that step off and then I wouldn’t have had so much issue with drying my pages.

she used gelatos - I ended up using water color crayons. I scribbled my lines and then used a baby wipe to smudge the crayon. it worked pretty good.

2 Likes

Anyone here want to do a personal swap for a 5"x7" art journal page?
Since this idea didn’t win the swap poll I thought I 'd see if I could get some personal swaps going!

If there are several of us interested I can help facilitate partners but again - this is a personal swap not an official group swap.

1 Like

I would!!!

If it’s a small group, we might be able to have multiple partners??

Yeah that could work.
We’ll see who all is interested first - maybe give it through the weekend.
So far it is:
me
@Edel
@JoyfulClover
@thanate
@craftADDchick
@Lynx

I’m thinking about it. I’ve never made an art journal page before.

There are gobs of tutorials to find a style you like! It’s a good opportunity to learn new and really flex the maker muscle!

I’d love to join in as long as people don’t mind my beginner style!

I do have a question, though… What do you all do with your solo journal pages? Do you bind them together into a journal? And, if so, how do you do that? Do you fold your pages and stitch them in, or do you bind them with something like a Bind-It-All?

And, how do you keep the pages from sticking together?

2 Likes

I’m so new, I also do not have a method of keeping them together. Mine are free-range!

It will be interesting to get GG’s weigh-in.

2 Likes