Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Oh that doesn’t sound good! Hope it heals fast.

Hope you are healing well!

Thanks so much for organising the session, it was so great to be able to join in from the distant future of Monday morning! :smile_cat:

I will take some pictures once the sun comes up…

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone who joined in for our art journaling zoom!
@JoyfulClover, @AIMR, @calluna, @Reinikka, @jemimah, @Bunny1kenobi
We followed along this video.

It was a lot of fun and my favorite part is learning tricks and tips from fellow crafters. Like @jemimahsuggested using water color pencil shavings instead of the magical shaker colors the video used. And @JoyfulClover suggested using old ceramic plates/dishes for paint palettes. Especially old deviled egg plates. (I need to go thrift store shopping!)

Here are the pages I made today.

Here are the [stencils](Swpeet 25Pcs Mixed Pattern Hollow Out Painting Stencils Kit, Plastic Planner Stencils Square Shape Journal Stencil for Bullet Journal Painting Craft/Journal/Notebook/Diary/Scrapbook DIY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DZZXWHN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_eNBhFb8B5E2DT) I showed on the zoom. It’s 25 small stencils for $13.

9 Likes

They look fabulous!! I really like how you arranged the circles to leave space, and layered the stencil/stamp textures (and the sentiments are perfect too!)

2 Likes

I see your little doodles! Thanks for hosting…learned a lot about layering…I normally work in fabrics so it was fun to see how to do something similar with paper…definitely like the idea of using what tools and supplies I have on hand, but I feel like I would enjoy it more if I had some stencils and maybe a few wordy stamps…

I learned what you posted above as well as printing out sentiments and then just gluing them on!

oh, and I think @calluna mentioned using book pages as a base…the would solve my lack of words problems as well!

3 Likes

Lovely pages! It really was fun to participate! I will start saving jar lids and making more fun textured stamps. My fellow crafters are so inspiring!

Here’s mine, but it’s a masterboard rather than an art journal page.

I used metallic paint on the background. You can see the shine better here:

6 Likes

I love the metallic paint! I love your black splatters…and I can see how this is a great base for all sorts of other projects! Very nice…stealing a few ideas…the squares…need to make a stamp like that!!!

1 Like

Ok…I pretty much followed the video just to learn the techniques…even the colors ! lol

Here is mine…I did two sets and tried to remember on the second set so I am sure I left out some steps but had fun anyway!

This is the close up of my favorite…the new stamp I made looks like little mountains!
20200726_142221

9 Likes

Thank you @geekgirl for hosting! Sorry I was so quiet and had to leave early… but here’s my page now that I’ve had a chance to catch up :slightly_smiling_face:

I added some extra silver ink to some circles but it doesn’t show up well in the picture.

It was a fun craftalong :grin:

7 Likes

The yellow really brightens up your pages!

One thing that I really like in the pages are seeing the brush strokes as well…gives a lot of movement…nice work and so glad to finally “see” you!! I love your masterboards!

1 Like

That is gorgeous masterboard!! Wonderful texture!

1 Like

Beautiful!! I really love your handmade stamps, and lovely hand lettering!

1 Like

Fantastic!! That’s such a vibrant colour combination, and the touches of silver are great!

2 Likes

I love everyone’s version!! Especially @geekgirl

Davey napped just long enough for me to tryout this video! Here’s my version!

8 Likes

I love all your pages! I really liked this one, and I’m sorry I couldn’t be there! I’m definitely planning to make ths one (I ordered the stencils @geekgirl, and the watercolor pencil shaving tip is a great idea @jemimah! I just found a stash of little paint pallettes, so I don’t need to use @JoyfulClover’s idea (yet…)).

I need to set up a proper journal to use for these sessions. Someone had mentioned gluing pages together to make them thicker (and tearing out pages to leave room in the journal for embellishments). What do you use to glue the pages together?

1 Like

Nice job, audity! Wish you could have been there with us, but glad that you played along!

2 Likes

Glue sticks are easy and quick, but sometimes there is uneven adhesion, which can cause some buckling or warping once you start getting the pages wet.
Spray adhesive is a nice and even application, but the chemical stink of it tends to stay with the book (there may be a kind that doesn’t stink, I don’t remember).
A fine, even coat of gesso or gel or liquid medium (or, really, just Elmer’s glue) works nicely, but there’s no pulling those pages apart again once dry and you have to wrangle the wrinkles that appear while the pages are still wet; when the pages glued together are as bubble-free as you can get them, press the closed book under a heavy, even weight until dry. With spray or liquid, put wax paper or plastic between the pages you’re working with and the rest of the book until dry!
Pages can also be sewn together!

2 Likes

I love what everyone made and how we all brought our own thing to it. @Bunny1kenobi is one of your stamps a line from a bingo card?! Kind of awesome! Here is my page; I don’t think this is right-side-up, but really, who knows:

Since I’m not sure which way is up (here or in general :upside_down_face:), I haven’t added the words yet. Appropriately, the phrase I pulled at random to use is “We do not know what is going on.”

8 Likes

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone! My finger seems to be healing up nicely.

Amazing pages all around! It’s always so cool to see individual takes on the same prompt. Hoping to be able to join in next time.

2 Likes