Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Your page has a retro modern feel to it! The colors are wonderful together…gold, grey and a corally pink…fabulous white as well…

1 Like

The base cardstock is a dark manila color I’ve never been fond of on its own (it comes in the neutral colors variety packs), but it worked really nicely for this color scheme! Not that it shows through much, but it made me adjust how I perceived the colors. I’m so used to starting with a solid white surface, my mind treated the whole thing like I was working under a warm-colored light, which effected both the colors that seemed right and how those colors actually turned out on the page (I thought I was going to have a lemon-yellow creation). I look forward to trying this again with more of this color of cardstock and other color combos; I really like the effect.

1 Like

Thanks, @calluna! I’m going to start working on it this week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ohh–I have so many ugly paper (to me ugly)…never thought to use them as a base and just cover them up with some parts showing!

I do that with fabric…just need to apply some of the same ideas to paper and paints !

@megwell glad you are healing up…we missed you!

1 Like

Wonderful and bright @audity!! The layering of colours looks amazing!

@calluna this has beautiful depth to it!! I want to reach out and touch it!

Here are my versions. I had a try yesterday, using a grey paper. I wasn’t super happy with it, as I didn’t leave enough space. So I tore out two 4” x 6” pieces, edged them, and used the torn off strips to do the stamped lettering. I think cropping it down made a much better composition.

This is the one I made in our session, on white paper, leaving more space. I think I might fold it in half and use it as a cover to make a small sketchbook.

8 Likes

Some collected thoughts and compliments:

@geekgirl I love the colors you chose in your first picture, very water/naturey :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And I’m fond of your diamonds and white speckles.

@Bunny1kenobi Making a masterboard was a great idea! I like your metallic background too :grin:

@AIMR I really like how your circles overlap each other. Your little mountain stamp is fantastic :smile: I like the background stamping too

@audity Your page is so vibrant! :heart_eyes: I like the “absurdity” trying to hide itself :wink:

@calluna Your page looks like it came out of a dream , I love the color choices and all those hidden textures :grin: Great random phrase too!

@jemimah Lovely colors! The one you made today (tomorrow? yesterday? …timezone math is hard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) looks amazing! It looks almost 3D, like someone could fall into the circles. Did you use bubble wrap? It looks like little flowers :smile: And I love the Celtic knots

@calluna & @AIMR I spent a significant portion of a day organizing my paper a while ago and now I have all my “ugly”/un-favorites in their own box for masterboard backgrounds :sweat_smile:

@craftADDchick I want to start a new art journal now too! lol …I was lucky I had one with some space available. I thought I had more started but I couldn’t find them this morning? I can’t figure out where they are hiding :stuck_out_tongue: But now I want to make another new one… hahahaha

Thanks again @geekgirl! It’s been a long time since I’ve done any art journaling. :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you for all of that ; I concur! I would have been here all night trying to plunk it all out on my phone. Trying to get messages of substance through on my phone, using typing or voice-to-text, is the stuff of fever dreams.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I love how our projects are all so different! I think they all turned out pretty awesome !!

2 Likes

Yes, @calluna, I have a Tim Holtz stamp that’s a line from a bingo card. I think it worked well!

2 Likes

I thought that was a bingo stamp. So cool! great idea to use it as a masterboard. love the metallics.

if you zoom in on my 2nd pic - the pink and purple one you can see book text. I made this in an old book and didn’t cover all the words when I gessoed it. you can also see the masking tape in the middle that I used to reinforce the pages .

I like your overlapping circles. and on your 2nd set I really like the bold letters you used.

I like your yellow circles! and I can see the silver. nice highlighting.

this looks great. your white stamping is really nice. did you have a white ink pad? Most of us had to use paint and mine smeared. I am thinking I may need to get a white ink pad.

you can use almost any type of glue. I have been using Collage Podge that I paint on in a thin layer. you can use an old credit card to scrap down the top page and work from center out to work out wrinkles and bubbles.

I love the colors you chose! and I love the phase you will use! Didn’t you say you cut your circles out from old photos? such a good idea. didn’t even occur to me to cut them out and add them. That opens up so many possibilities.

I do this all the time! it feels good to repurpose something that you think is ugly and would normally want to throw out.

I LOVE your original piece. it’s so peaceful looking. the colors are great. and using it a book cover is a great idea. The small ones look cool. I like the close up look to it and how you used the strips for the text.

4 Likes

I absolutely love so many people showed up to art, and others who solo rocked it! Really fun to see all the interpretations!

I also picked up the paper usage( I was focused solely on paint, but even have a circle punch from the ATC coin swap!), the huge stencil pack, shaving water colors, and a new slow cloth artist to follow!

Good, good, good stuff.

5 Likes

My version:

Not too shabby. I am happy to have left white space, but didn’t do as much, so it feels a bit incomplete. No matter, I used lemon yellow, which is different for me, so Woot for personal growth!

6 Likes

feels very serene! Love the touch of yellow…and the empty circles…I am learning just from seeing all the different ways this can be done!

Spectacular work, everyone…let’s not be strangers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@JoyfulClover It feels relaxing :smile: Like ripples on a pond maybe? I love it! And hooray for personal growth! :grin: I also like that bit of texture peeking through on your background (the diamonds/3D boxes).

2 Likes

Ahh, thank you @AIMR and @Reinikka! I appreciate your feedback! My favorite turned out to be the circles where I stamped off the solid circle (lower right), so it’s more organic.

I also need to remember reference the original artist on the back, just in case I need to go back later. If you are interested:

‘Never Give Up’ - Made BY Gerda

2 Likes

so over the zoom share when you showed your piece I was reminded of a solar system but on this screen I am reminded of fish and water. I like the background texture too. I really like the big bubble in the lower left - the lighter blue and yellow. the shading is spot on.

I keep forgetting to do this! since I often work in a journal I am doing 2 sided pages so I may need to staple in a tag or something.

yes, after you said this, I wished I had done at least one more elliptical!

ohhh! Maybe off to the upper right? Like an index? I like the idea of a staple. Both the form and function.

Oh that looks fab @JoyfulClover I really like how you arranged the circles and space! And well done for doing something outside your usual style, the contrast with the yellow gives it zing!!

This was a good video to try, I hope we can do another one sometime :smiley: I might have another go at this idea too - I feel like if I repeated this layering process a few times but kept changing and adapting different bits I could come up with something quite different and original.

2 Likes

I did use bubble wrap, and a little bit of white acrylic paint! Cheapest stamp ever :smiley:

I don’t have a lot of stamps, and they are mostly handcarved things rather than more subtle background textures. These celtic knot stamps were the only thing I had on hand that didn’t seem like they’d be too intrusive. I probably wouldn’t have picked them out, but actually I think they fit well, and when I look at the piece again, the twining knots resonate with the theme of journey in the quote I chose. I love how just adapting and working with what you have on hand can generate creative good stuff.

2 Likes

Yes. I could definitely see doing this video again!

1 Like