Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

I have all sorts of watercolor sets, but my favorite is still the cheapo 8 colors kid set I got at Target…

1 Like

Well I can say that any watercolor stuff I’ve done with my current set does not look anywhere close to what you guys are posting. And it dries…chalky. Could be paint/paper combo lol. Who knows. And @Reinikka yes! I often have to work through a muddy layer to get to the actual color. :laughing:

Does anyone keep a Scraps Diary? I had never heard of the idea before but it seems like a fun little project.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of it thru TiffanySimplySharpe’s Instagram. I hope to watch the video later this week when I get some stuff done.

1 Like

I like that idea! It seems like it would fit well within a bullet journal, giving added visual interest and meaning without having to put more time into it. It also makes me think of the squares in a monthly calendar - either gluing one down on each day’s square instead of crossing the day out, or pre-filling the squares in a calendar for the coming year.

4 Likes

This video was a little too much talking for me :sweat_smile: But I kept it on in the background while I did some other work. I like the idea although I would probably do my own version since I don’t usually work with a scrap paper underneath what I do… I would probably cut/tear bits off of a finished thing (like the corner of a masterboard). Or I could use bits of my notes, idea sketches, etc from when I brainstorm & plan things :thinking:

1 Like

I sort of keep one…mostly it is a sample of every background I have ever done so I can flip through for ideas that worked and how I did them…I try to reference back to any video and supplies as well…I pretty much did this with all my fabrics and yarns as well…

1 Like

I needed some cards and 1) didn’t have time to make backgrounds 2) didn’t want the added weight of a mixed media background so I tried printing off a scanned image of a background I did previously and added a die cut. It worked really well and I might have to start scanning all of my backgrounds now!

18 Likes

I love scanning backgrounds so I can reuse them and even alter their colors to fit my needs.
Yours are gorgeous!

3 Likes

That is a fantastic idea - they look great!!

1 Like

Those cards are so pretty! Such a great idea to scan your originals. Once I finally make some that I like, I’ll have to remember to do that, as well. Is the while rectangle a die cut, too? I like how it helps to make the “hello” pop a bit more against the background without interfering with the background. It’s a lovely layout!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m really happy with how they turned out!

It’s actually just a random cutoff from when I was trimming the paper, so the flip side is more of the print.

1 Like

@photojenn @geekgirl @smmarrt I have skimmed through this thread and I know I probably just missed it, but can one of you link where you got the fodder school class/lessons? I LOVE what you all have done here! I have been making my own ‘fodder’ out of stamps and coloring / cutting them out, but I really like the idea of doing my own pieces as well. So sorry if this was addressed already - skimming probably just failed me.

2 Likes

Fodder School is a 12 month course you can find here. Registration is now closed but I’ve heard of at least one person who had success messaging Wendy on Instagram about registering late.

1 Like

Thanks! It looks like they reopened registration. I’ll definitely look further into it!

2 Likes

I’ve just watched this for the first time. I’m so intrigued by these methods.

I’ve watched a lot of videos recently and I think I understand all the layering techniques. I’m no good at them … yet
BUT, my in-head commentary to this was, my “sarcastic, not artsy person watching and explaining”.
Not to be mean, but to try and comedy explain it to a non artsy person. I hope that makes sense.

And that just made me laugh. LOTS. (small things). I can’t wait to try more of these techniques

I see it in the same way that quilters are laughed at for buying a decent piece of fabric, chopping it up and sewing it back together again.

2 Likes

These are absolutely gorgeous!!!

1 Like

Gorgeous!
And yours also @photojenn….
Plus the idea of scanning the background for your cards is so cool!
Thx for sharing ~~

Also @Reinikka , I like your cute page full of watercolor designs

1 Like

Wow!
A degree in art sounds like fun!

Working on more watercolor bits. Houses painted on old book pages.

I need to up my mark-making game. Practice, practice, practice!

12 Likes