Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2022

I really like those piano key/teeth patterns!

Here’s my swirly lines:

I always admired this pattern in Alisa’s work, but struggled to do it myself. She makes it look so effortless! I love that the class is really giving me the opportunity to practice and get better at something I find tricky!

9 Likes

Here’s my day 9. I like the result, although I’m realizing fiddly space-filling just isn’t my jam.

7 Likes

Nice work! And HBD! :tada:

My brain rebels against the fiddly-ness sometimes but I think it’s good exercise to reign it back to the task at hand. And I always love the result so it’s worth it (for me).

Working on my day 3 accordion book. I think the best thing about finally splashing out for tubes of watercolor is I’m no longer worried about running out of them (there is SO much in the tubes) so I find I’m way more liberal with them/able to play around.

6 Likes

I’m finding I love filling the spaces but hate when I have to be precise. Just filling the spaces with whatever patterns come to my mind is really relaxing.

I totally agree! I like that the slightly messy look actually adds to these doodles!!

Loving your watercolor spread! I need to learn to be more liberal with mine (non-tube).

1 Like

Reminds me of someone I know well :smiley:

Hubby had 4 coworkers test positive on the weekend so I’m fairly certain that’s what has both of us down and out too :face_with_thermometer: I’ll catch up once I can be up longer than 10 minutes.

1 Like

Ugh, I hope you feel better soon! It seems like everyone is getting sick lately. My husband and I are still basically hermits but I’m really longing for things to get back to normal.

1 Like

Thanks!

I think part of my problem is that I tend to be the kind of person who can’t just Do The Thing the normal way, so I get hung up trying to put my spin on it, and make all the bits different from each other, and and and. So you’re totally right about the reining it in aspect.

I’m enjoying that more as well. I feel like the point of a class like this (at least for me) is to try stuff out and keep what works for me/leave the rest.

1 Like

Still waiting for the belly band to dry but I sewed the middle portion in. I love this one, such a simple structure and I think it would be perfect for a special card.

I’m really having fun with this challenge!

8 Likes

@Cindy - Ugh. Feel better. Hope it’s a easy few days with little pain or discomfort.

@AIMR @geekgirl @photojenn - I may just copy your designs without signing up for the class. I have 2 or 3 of those little composition books from the last Alisa Burke class I took and they are mostly painted. Cheating I know but I can’t add another thing right now but I do like to doodle while watching/listening to baseball.

@photojenn - I need time to get going with these books. Yours are gorgeous. First I need to hunt down some paper. I know I have one large sheet somewhere…

3 Likes

You’re using my kind of colours :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Here is my swirly lines page from today. I feel like I’ve been photobombing this thread this week but I’ve been having so much fun creating which has been really exciting after feeling like I’d been in a rut for months.

8 Likes

I haven’t had a chance to do my doodles because I got a bit carried away with book #2…still working one it, but here is what I have done so far! It’s got doodles!

I am going to leave the inside blank for journaling or decorating later.

10 Likes

Not cheating. That’s called planning ahead.

3 Likes

@photojenn - I love your swirly lines! I especially like the way you left space.

@AIMR - beautiful!!

1 Like

Today’s accordion book. I love this one! I was skeptical about how the centers were going to turn out but I love them now that I’ve added doodles and splatters. And they spin!

11 Likes

See, now this prompt is more like it :laughing: .

8 Likes

That was why I joined…that is the one I was most interested in! My doodles are drying…

In the meantime, I made another foldover accordion book. I will do a separate post with details.

9 Likes

I’ve just read through and 250 posts on this thread. (Life got tough for a couple of months, but normality is returning)

I’ve thing I’ve noticed is that everyone is getting really really good! There’s a noticeable progression in skill level with everyone. So much of the stuff that’s been posted here, is really really good. I know people have taken lots of online classes and I guess they’ve helped, but it really seems to me that there’s a synergy happening in the thread that inspiring everyone.

10 Likes