I did a few of the pencil pouches from the cute tutorial @Trillian posted:
…which would have worked a lot better if the scrap of stabilizer I picked up had actually been the water soluble kind instead of light-weight cut-away. Oops.
So then I moved on to sandwiching my colorful scraps between felt and a piece of a vintage silk sari that’s in the process of shattering. (Do people know about shattered silk? When silk goes, it disintegrates in all directions and falls to pieces. I picked this one up thinking I was going to glue it to things, which I still may, but it worked pretty well as a top layer which will fray more over time.)
So, that plus the longer machine embroidery hoop my husband got me for Christmas, and it occurred to me that basically I was making the fabric equivalent of a masterboard.
done with the embroidery machine…
On to tacking down the edges with the regular sewing machine…
And the backs of the finished pouches. I didn’t see why I needed the back seam from the original pattern; the last little bits of topstitching on the second side of the zipper were a little exciting on the ones where I used shorter zippers & blocked out the ends, but nothing impossible. Also I added end loops for something to pull against or hang the pouch from. (The one with the pink details is going to live with my child’s dining room chair & contain sharpened pencils to do her homework with.)