Pencil pouches from masterboard-style fabric

I did a few of the pencil pouches from the cute tutorial @Trillian posted:

But since I was also thinking about @marionberries’s Scrappy Heart Mini-Quilts, and all the quilting & sashiko patterns I have for my embroidery machine, I started here:

…which would have worked a lot better if the scrap of stabilizer I picked up had actually been the water soluble kind instead of light-weight cut-away. Oops. :roll_eyes:

So then I moved on to sandwiching my colorful scraps between felt and a piece of a vintage silk sari that’s in the process of shattering. (Do people know about shattered silk? When silk goes, it disintegrates in all directions and falls to pieces. I picked this one up thinking I was going to glue it to things, which I still may, but it worked pretty well as a top layer which will fray more over time.)

So, that plus the longer machine embroidery hoop my husband got me for Christmas, and it occurred to me that basically I was making the fabric equivalent of a masterboard.

done with the embroidery machine…

On to tacking down the edges with the regular sewing machine…

And the backs of the finished pouches. I didn’t see why I needed the back seam from the original pattern; the last little bits of topstitching on the second side of the zipper were a little exciting on the ones where I used shorter zippers & blocked out the ends, but nothing impossible. Also I added end loops for something to pull against or hang the pouch from. (The one with the pink details is going to live with my child’s dining room chair & contain sharpened pencils to do her homework with.)

24 Likes

What a fascinating process to create a fabric masterboard. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

So many possibilities with your techniques!

I have a wonderful embroidery machine that needs to be dusted off…this process looks fun and creative…thanks for sharing…now quilters and sew-ers can be part of the masterboarding crowd…ha

2 Likes

These are so great. Masterboard fabric?!? Genius!

1 Like

Neat! Texture and such great mix of color.

1 Like

I love seeing your process! This is brilliant.

1 Like

Such a good idea and great way to use up scraps!

1 Like

So that’s what shattered silk means! I’d run across the term before but hadn’t bothered to actually look it up.

Lovely pouches! It looks like you had a lot of fun creating the fabric that went into them.

1 Like

I only learned the term a year or so ago & keep sharing it b/c I love the image of fabric shattering like ice or glass. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love to see your finished products, and it’s even more interesting to see the process! You are so talented!

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing the whole process! Love it! :orange_heart:

Beautiful pouches! This rocks, YOU rock! :metal:t3:

2 Likes

Goooorgeous embroidery on those lovely fabrics!!

1 Like

Woo that is fantastic! You know I love this so, So much! And I thought same about that centre seam, I was going to use one piece when I finally got around to making some.
Very cool about the silk too, what a nifty description.

1 Like

Wow this is CRAZY gorgeous!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is so cool! Love the idea of making a masterboard of fabric.

1 Like

I really like how you’ve started with a cool, simple pattern and taken it to the next level with your own creative twist. Inspiring!!

4 Likes

Love these so much! So creative and look like they would be fun to make!! Fabulous job!

2 Likes

Very creative and definitely distinctive! Love those colors!

1 Like

Oh, wow! I love these and you have sent my mind reeling with the possibilities! In a couple of weeks, I’ll be getting my hands on a (used) Brother PE-150 embroidery machine. I don’t know what it’s capable of, yet, but you have given me something to play around with. :heart:

1 Like

Cool! :grin: I look forward to seeing what you do with it.